recursive search and populate results in tree view control (1 Viewer)

zfshi

Local time
Today, 01:30
Hello VBA Gurus,

I need some VBA coding to do the following tasks

Table 1: two columns - Child Tag and Parent Tag. Parent Tags can also be in Child Tag column. In other words, a parent can have multiple levels of children.

Table 2: one column - Backup Tag.

I'd like to have a form with a combo box, pick a Parent Tag, the search all its child tags and compare each Child Tag found with records in Table 2 to see if there is a match. Then populate all results in a tree view control.

A visual example :

Parent Tag
...Child Tag 1 - Back up tag found
......Child Tag 11
......Child Tag 12 - Back up tag found
...Child Tag 2
......Child Tag 21
...Child Tag 3
......Child Tag 31
.........Child Tag 311 - Back up tag found

Thanks a bunch!

Richard

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:30
code like that is generally commercially valuable and I don't think you will find anything freely available. But take a look at this link from which you can work out your own code

http://mikehillyer.com/articles/managing-hierarchical-data-in-mysql/

or google 'binary tree algorithms' or similar. There are a lot of different ways of doing what you require and which is right for you depends on a number of factors such as size of recordset, number of levels, frequency of updates etc. - the example in the link (nested sets) is fast on retrieval but slow in inserting, deleting or updating so is suited to large datasets which don't change very often.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
This isn't actually that hard. Create a query that performs a left join between the two tables, so the field is null if there is no backup tag, but has data if there is data.

Then write a recursive node creation routine into which you pass the parent node . . .

Code:
Sub CreateNodes(np as mscomctllib.Node)
   dim nc as mscomctllib.Node
   with currentdb.openrecordset("SELECT * FROM YourLeftJoinQuery WHERE ParentID = " & np.Tag)
      do while not .eof
[COLOR="Green"]          'create this node[/COLOR]
          set nc = treeview.nodes.add(np, tvwChild, , !ChildName)
[COLOR="Green"]          'check for backup tag[/COLOR]
          if not isnull(!BackupTag) then nc.text = nc.text & " Backup Tag"
[COLOR="Green"]          'save the ID of the current record to the node[/COLOR]
          nc.Tag = !ChildID
[COLOR="Green"]          'recursively add child nodes of the current node[/COLOR]
          CreateNodes nc
          .MoveNext
      Loop
      .Close
   End WIth
End Sub

You might need a little special handling in the first call if you want a root node in your tree, but see if this code looks way too scary. If not, the principles for making it work are all there.

If you have a big data set, then you don't create the nodes recursively (it takes too long), rather, you handle the expand event, and populate child nodes on demand, which is a little trickier, but again, do-able.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
I've done something like this for a poster using this character "¬" and it was all done in a query. I can't remember how many levels down it went.

Best to upload a test db with some sample data.

zfshi

Local time
Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I'll try search 1st level of child records and populate them in a tree view, then when clicking on a node, create an click event to search and populate next level of child records and so on. Do you have it's doable?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
there is an o'reilly free book available on the subject of advanced graph theory.

graphs as in the case of connected networks. I have downloaded, but not looked at it, but it may well have information on this sort of stuff.

worth getting hold of, for free.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
A free O'Reilly book? Never thought they gave anything for free :)

There's still a probability that this can be done in a couple of queries, but I would need to see some test data. You will be able to use any character to create the tree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom