Table set-up (1 Viewer)

advomystics

Local time
Today, 02:53
Still very new to access. Last week I went through an access teaching book and did the examples so I could learn some basics. I am trying to set-up a management system for a dance studio that I work for. I have 4 tables set-up now: tbl Charges, tblDanceClasses, tblStudents, tblTeachers.

I now need to assign the teachers and students to the class they attend. Students and Teachers can be assigned to multiple classes. I am somewhat confused with the relationships in this table. I am not sure how to set this table up. Any suggestions?

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
This is called a junction table. If you google "ms access junction table" I think you'll find some help.

advomystics

Local time
Thank you! I will do that now.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:53
Another bit of advice since you are new to Access. Think in terms of two "old Programmer's Rules" that I always offer to new folks.

Rule 1. If you can't do it on paper, you can't do it in Access.

Meaning, first you must understand the data flow of your business before you can write an Access database that can track, simulate, or support that business. I often tell folks to invest in a dry-erase board and some sticky notes to draw out a logical depiction of how data SHOULD flow in your business whether you are doing it by hand or by machine. You put up notes representing the things in your business and draw lines representing how they are related to each other in your business flow. You think about what has to happen and in what sequence. At some point you will be able to see a path of data from table A to table B through query C.

It is in this stage that you will discover multiple relationships among the elements of your business. You will see where sometimes there is a simple relationship, but sometimes it gets more complex and will need junction tables to handle assignments.

Rule 2. Access won't tell you anything you didn't tell it first.

Meaning, decide what you want to get out of this database application. Then decide what data you need to feed it in order to be able to retrieve that result. For example, if your dance studio sells dance-related clothing, you might need to know a person's clothing size, so you would have to ask about that. If you want to send notices to someone via their e-mail, you need to know their e-mail - so you have to ask for that information. If a person has strong preferences about sub-categories of whatever style you are teaching, that is something you would want to capture to be better able to server your customers.

In other words, when you are studying whatever you need to learn for Access, also think about what you need to ask that Access (by itself) could never know.

You don't say whether you are doing modern jazz, tap, ballet, or ballroom styles. I don't claim to know much about all of those - but I'm a former Arthur Murray "Silver" standard student myself, so I know at least some of the vagaries of the ballroom variant of that business, including getting hold of teaching materials such as videos of each particular move for review by your less experienced instructors.

I wish you the best of luck in that business.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:53
advomystics,

Further to what The Doc Man suggested:
Since you are new to Access, I recommend you watch the youtube series on Database by Dr. Daniel Soper.
It is an 8 part series, but I suggest you watch 1, 2 and 4 to begin. The first video starts here.

It will help you with concepts that underlie all relational databases, and will ease your learning and use of Access (or other DBMS).

Once you understand the basics of database, here is another youtube series on Access Programming by Steve Bishop.

Good luck.

advomystics

Local time
I did not know that cross posing was a no-no. I really appreciate the advice that people have given me on where to go to research and hopefully create a database system that will help my employer and I in the future.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:53
cross posting per se is not a no no, just let people know and provide the links so they don't potentially waste their time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom