Why would Workgroup .ldb file lock up? (1 Viewer)

B

Baffled

I have a workgroup file that serves 10 databases, which contain 33 different groups and about 50 users. The workgroup file seems to grow at a rapid rate and for the first time the .ldb file for the workgroup locked up and the workgroup file was in need of repair, and that happened twice last week. My questions is - did the .ldb file lock up for the same reasons a non workgroup database would lock up (i.e. improper shut down of a database, disconnection from the network, etc.) or did it lock up because there is too much traffic within the workgroup itself? If the answer is too much traffic, how do I solve that problem? I was thinking of maybe creating one workgroup file per database but then if a person needed access to all databases they would have to create a new password for each workgroup file, or can workgroup files link to each other? I’m a bit confused and not sure what to do. From the looks of things the number of databases and groups will probably triple in the future. Any advice would be appreciated.

Baffled

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:29
Well, I can't tell you ALL of the reasons that a workgroup file would lock up, but I can tell you a couple that are high-probability situations for a shared-network situation. A .LDB file gets "permanently" locked if...

1. The user's computer crashes in a way that prevents release of the file lock. The infamous "Blue Screen of Death"

2. The user decides for reasons unknown before Man or God that the workstation is locked up, so uses task manager to abort the process without letting Access release the file lock.

3. The network takes a nose-dive into the dirt.

4. The DB's host machine takes the nose-dive instead.

5. The user decides to log out of the system and network by TURNING OFF the workstation. No orderly shutdown, just tap the power switch. ZAP! No connection, no problem.

I think you get the picture. ANYTHING that causes Access to exit without releasing its lock in the .LDB will do it. And Microsoft systems are SO stable that such things NEVER happen, do they?

Pardon me if my cynicism is showing.

:(

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:29
Is everybody sharing (accessing) the same *.mdw file on the network? Each user should have a copy of the *.mdw file on their computer. I always have the users front end and their MDW file in the same folder on their computer. You would give each user an updated copy of the MDW file just as you would when you update the front end.

You can easily use one workgroup file for all of your databases. Just ensure the users get the latest versions when you make updates.

You should be using custom shortcuts for the users to open the secured db's. The Target: field of a custom shortcut would look somthing like this...

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\msaccess.exe" /runtime /wrkgrp "C:\TestDB\TestWorkgroup.mdw" "C:\TestDB\Testing123.mdb" /user TestUser

You should not join a users computer to a custom workgroup.

HTH

B

Baffled

Yes, everyone is accessing the same front end on the network through a custom short cut on their desktop. I have not put a front end .mdb on everyone's computer. I thought having the front end on the network as opposed to putting it on individual computers was ok provided it did not cause too much network traffic or slow down the application. I just thought it was odd that the workgroup .ldb file locked up since users do not have direct access to it. I didn’t realize that you could put the workgroup file .mdw on a users computer just as you would a front end. I know I’ve seen some informative threads in this forum about putting the front end on users computers – Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated.

Baffled

Last edited:

Treason

#@$%#!
Local time
Ok this is in reply to the doc man...

I see your list of reasons on how a database can "lock". My question is how can I unlock it??

Please respond.. this has troubled me for ages

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Treason said:
Ok this is in reply to the doc man...

I see your list of reasons on how a database can "lock". My question is how can I unlock it??

Please respond.. this has troubled me for ages

Delete the .ldb file is the only way.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
All of the users that were in the db will have to reboot their PC's. Then you should be able to delete the .ldb file.

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
ghudson said:
All of the users that were in the db will have to reboot their PC's. Then you should be able to delete the .ldb file.

I've never had to do the reboot g. When I have had problems deleting the ldb I have been able to rename it and then delete.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Autoeng,

There have been a few occasians where I was not able to delete the .ldb file and the only way to "free" the .ldb file was to reboot all of the PC's that were listed in the .ldb file.

Usually it was when a users PC locked up [while in the shared db] and the user had to Ctrl Alt Del the db. The Ctrl Alt Del key combination is a db killer.

Treason

#@$%#!
Local time
yes thanks guys...

I didnt even know I could erase the ldb.. big help thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom