Security Definitions (1 Viewer)

blacktide

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:59
PANIC!! Could not read definitions

All Right this topic has been covered in two posts unsecuring a secured database and Error Message: Could not read Definitions , however neither of these post have helped me cure my problem.

I open my db and log in. When I try to open any thing other than create new I get this message: Could not read definitions; no read definitions for the table or query.

So here is what I have tried. I go into Tools, Security, User-Level Security Wizard. Modify my current workgroup info file. I choose select all at each tab, i.e. Tables, Queries, etc. and add this user to all groups. I check yes, I would like to grant some permissions to the User. I check Administer at each tab. I assign a new user name and password. Now I choose the users name I just created and assign the user to admins group and then click finish. I exit the program and the reopen the database and try to open a table or query and get the same message: Could not read definitions; no read definitions for the table or query. So I go into Tool, Security, User and Groups Permissions and no of the permissions that I assigned are checked so I check Administer and then apply and I get You Can't Change Permissions for this "Object'. To Change Permissions for this object you must have Administer permissions for it. I go to Tools, Security, User and Group Accounts, choose the user that I just created and it shows that he is a member of Admins and Users.

Now if I remember right when I created this user I gave him administer rights, but yet he cannot open a single thing.

I am at a loss as to what to do and I need the info that is in this db.

GaryC

Registered User.
Local time
Have you tried to import all objects to a new blank database - or will it not let you ? Sometimes it works - if you can see the objects - providid you have at least 'admin' rights to the 'database' object.

- otherwise - you could try sending it to "Jon" at "Access World" he his a wonderful chap you know ! [at a price of course!]

blacktide

Registered User.
Local time
Unfortunately

Unfortunately I have tried importing, exporting and linking the objects and I get: You don't have permission to import export, or link to 'Object'. To import, export, or link to this object, you must have Read Design and Read Data permissions for it.

GaryC

Registered User.
Local time
When you say "ALL" the tabs - did you remember to select the Up arrow and add the user to "Database" which does not drop down - but is above the others in the list !!

If you have tried this and it does not work then I am at a loss to help - sorry !

GSC

blacktide

Registered User.
Local time
If you are talking about Tools, Security, User and Group Permission. Object type database <current database>. It was not checked with anything. I have changed that and it still does not let me do anything else.

Attachments

• user and group.jpg
    user and group.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 209

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:59
From the Admins group account, try to change ownership of the objects to the Admins group or the user you created who was IN the Admins group.

If you do that, you should be able to change permissions. Since Office is a Windows-based product, they sometimes use a Windows paradigm. In this case, the applicable paradigm is that you must OWN an object to control it if you don't already control it (and need to). Windows permissions work this way. You have to own it before you can muck it.

blacktide

Registered User.
Local time
Still locked out

I have gotten in with the admin account and it is part of the admins group, but when I try to change the ownership I still get You Can't Change Permissions for this "Object". To Change Permissions for this object you must have Administer permissions for it

blacktide

Registered User.
Local time
Update

Just for an update. I talked to a friend of mine about this and they have a copy of Advanced Office XP Password Recovery, so I sent him the file and bang he got it open by recreating one of the users with the proper ID. Thanks for everyone's imput.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom