access 97 out of memory? (1 Viewer)

paulmcdonnell

Ready to Help
Local time
Today, 11:56
Hello Guys,

Got one of those don't believe it problems.

I'm using access 97. but for some reason access 97 now gives me the error message "out of memory" and will not startup. The program is being used on a machine with a 40GB hard disk (85% free) with 1000MB!!! ram.

I'm pretty sure that there's ample memory and this is a message caused by some other problem, but i don't know what?

(The same pc has office 2003 installed on it, Access 2003 was installed but has since been removed).

Hope you can help

Cheers

Paul

=TB=

Registered User.
Local time
paulmcdonnell said:
Hello Guys,

Got one of those don't believe it problems.

I'm using access 97. but for some reason access 97 now gives me the error message "out of memory" and will not startup. The program is being used on a machine with a 40GB hard disk (85% free) with 1000MB!!! ram.

I'm pretty sure that there's ample memory and this is a message caused by some other problem, but i don't know what?

(The same pc has office 2003 installed on it, Access 2003 was installed but has since been removed).

Hope you can help

Cheers

Paul

What version of windows are you using?

paulmcdonnell

Ready to Help
Local time
=TB= said:
What version of windows are you using?

I'm using windows XP.
Other machines have a similar set up and appear to work fine

Cheers

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:56
Ac97 ought to run OK in WinXP, but there might be an application compatibility issue to consider. Whatever icon you are using to launch this app (including the direct link to Ac97 if that's what you are using), you want to right-click it to look at the compatibility properties. On the page selected by the compatibility tab, you might see some things about memory. If any of these are NOT set to AUTO, set them that way. Or perhaps you can run the XP compatibility wizard and see if it has any adjustments to make to your memory settings for Ac97, since that is pretty much down-version by a couple of versions. Like, no longer supported by MS.

The other possibility is that if this occurs when you have been running the app for a while, you might be running into an issue where things that are opened aren't being closed properly. I'm wondering if one of the main WinXP .DLL files is being used for Ac97 when Ac97 was expecting, say, a Win98 .DLL file, and the two .DLL files don't do exactly the same thing.

=TB=

Registered User.
Local time
paulmcdonnell said:
I'm using windows XP.
Other machines have a similar set up and appear to work fine

Cheers

NM shot in the dark, thought it might have been the WIN 9X problem with to much memory.

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
I have found in the past that Excel reported out of memory errors with a virus. I hope I am way off, here, but have you done a recent virus check?

GrahamB

Registered User.
Local time
...with 1000MB!!! ram

Thats your problem...

You have TOO MUCH memory:(

I have had the same problems here running it on a server.

Technet said it is down to having too much memory. (even though it says it doesn't have enough :rolleyes: )

paulmcdonnell

Ready to Help
Local time
Wow didn't know you could have too much memory

Can it be true? Can you have too much memory ... How does this work.. I'll step the memory down and see what happens..

cheerss

Paul :confused:

R

Rich

have you compilled and saved all modules and completely removed Access2003?

paulmcdonnell

Ready to Help
Local time
well guys reducing the memory helps

Reducing the memory to 550 Mb ram has solved the problem.

not what I expected though. Thanks to everyone for all their help. Can anyone explain why this is? Because this leaves me with a trade off - I need a lot of memory to help with other software on the machine and the amount of automation that occurs, so although the access now works other things run slightly slower... how can i find an optimum.

Cheers guys
Paul

=TB=

Registered User.
Local time
paulmcdonnell said:
Reducing the memory to 550 Mb ram has solved the problem.

not what I expected though. Thanks to everyone for all their help. Can anyone explain why this is? Because this leaves me with a trade off - I need a lot of memory to help with other software on the machine and the amount of automation that occurs, so although the access now works other things run slightly slower... how can i find an optimum.

Cheers guys
Paul

I've never heard of this before with XP, infact the exact opposite - one of the selling points of XP was that it could handle over 512mb of memory unlike 95, 98 and ME.

If your motherboard can take that much memory and you are using XP it might be worth looking at other setting as you should be able to use it. Faulty or incompatable stick, bios setting or virtual memory are a just a few things to check. I am sure there are people on this forum that can explain the other things to check.

GrahamB

Registered User.
Local time
=TB= said:
I've never heard of this before with XP, infact the exact opposite - one of the selling points of XP was that it could handle over 512mb of memory unlike 95, 98 and ME.

If your motherboard can take that much memory and you are using XP it might be worth looking at other setting as you should be able to use it. Faulty or incompatable stick, bios setting or virtual memory are a just a few things to check. I am sure there are people on this forum that can explain the other things to check.

The issue is not with windows at all its Access 97 that has a problem :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom