"there is no object with this control" (1 Viewer)

P

pat mckay

I receive this message when I try and import data for a new table from a text delimited file.
My database is a relatively simple one that was originally created in Access 98, then successfully migrated to 2000, (performing the import operation lots of times). I now have W-XP and office XP, and the upgrade appeared to be OK until I hit this problem.
I had created a new table for the data (there are only 3 fields) and there should be no impediment to the import. I have tried creating another table, even creating another db to put it in ...
The only reference about this message that I can find elsewhere seems to do with converting an access db from 2000 back to 97.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:13
This might actually be an obscure reference problem. I saw this kind of message when the real problem was that one of my ActiveX controls not only had to be referenced, it had to be REGISTERED. You do this from a code window, then follow Tools >> Register Active X

The trick will be finding out what needs to be registered.

Maybe my post will trigger someone else's memory of this kind of problem.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:13
If the extension of the file you are importing is non-standard, you might get a message like this. A few years ago, (A2K is pretty old now) Microsoft in their infinite wisdom added a security feature to Jet that prevents Access from working with external files unless their extensions conformed to a very short list (.txt, .xls, .csv, and a few more).

P

pat mckay

there is no object in this control

The_Doc_Man said:
This might actually be an obscure reference problem. I saw this kind of message when the real problem was that one of my ActiveX controls not only had to be referenced, it had to be REGISTERED. You do this from a code window, then follow Tools >> Register Active X

The trick will be finding out what needs to be registered.

Maybe my post will trigger someone else's memory of this kind of problem.

Thank you for responding, but I'm afraid I am still :confused: and don't know enough abolut things to be able to follow your advice. I am vaguely aware that there is a list of active-X controls somewhere that can be accessed, but I don't really know what they are ....
In this case I am just trying to import a plain text file to a brand new table. I was able to do it at another computer using the same .txt file ... creating a new db and table to put it in then emailing it to myself and then importing this db ..... but chee!
I have just tried re-installing Access 2002 (the whole thing worked fine in 2000), but that didn't make any difference.
Regards, pat McKay

P

pat mckay

there is no object in this control

Pat Hartman said:
If the extension of the file you are importing is non-standard, you might get a message like this. A few years ago, (A2K is pretty old now) Microsoft in their infinite wisdom added a security feature to Jet that prevents Access from working with external files unless their extensions conformed to a very short list (.txt, .xls, .csv, and a few more).
Thanks, but the file I was trying to import was a standard .txt file, pretty short - I have tried several others, same result. This has only happened with Access 2002 recently installed.
I have managed to get the data in there by importing the file at another computer to a new db, then emailing it to myself and importing the table from the db .... I am still :confused:
Regards, Pat McKay

M

mark whiteman

I had a similar problem when trying to import from an Excel spreadsheet into Access.

I had a look on Microsofts Knowledge Base and found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303769&Product=acc2000

There was 5 possible solutions, but the one that finally worked required me to use Regsvr32.exe to register the Accwiz.dll file.

Basically:
Search for accwiz.dll on your PC.

On the taskbar, click Start, and then click Run.
Type the following command in the Open box, and then click OK:

Regsvr32.exe c:\program files\microsoft office\office10\Accwiz.dll (or wherever accwiz.dll is stored on yours).

Hey Presto (well, it was for me - hope it solves your problem!). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom