"field will not fit in record" error msg (1 Viewer)

diagostj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:58
I'm trying to export a table to a .dbf file and I keep getting the error message field will not fit in record. I've been working with this data for a year, and I've never come across this message before. What's the deal?

I tried exporting to a different file type (I tried Excel) and the process worked fine, except there is too much data to be able to actually use Excel. Is there something about .dbf files, or am I doing something wrong here?

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:58
diagostj said:
field will not fit in record
it's been awhile, but if memory servers me it is usually caused by either a data element to large to fit in a field as it is defined (like trying to put 30 characters in a 25 character filed) or the delimiters are incorrect and it thinks there are to many fields. Could be something else I am not aware of also.

orbic1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:58
Delimiter

Change the table field properties. You will see the different types: text, number etc.
You can change text to 255, or if the field data is larger than 255 chars, use memo (unlim chars)

kcushing

Local time
Today, 00:58
I'm trying to export a table to a .dbf file and I keep getting the error message field will not fit in record. I've been working with this data for a year, and I've never come across this message before. What's the deal?

I tried exporting to a different file type (I tried Excel) and the process worked fine, except there is too much data to be able to actually use Excel. Is there something about .dbf files, or am I doing something wrong here?

I had the same issue. I had to size down all the text fields in my Access table to 127 characters. Then when Access creates the dbf, it can insert the records. I also cut all my field names to 10 characters and my table name to 8 characters, but you may not have to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom