MDB file size growing (1 Viewer)

R

RonB

With Access2000
I have a compacted x.MDB file = 17,408kb which gives a x.MDE file = 5,624kb

Have created new 'blank' database x1.MDB file and have imported all objects from above x.MDB file
This results in x1.MDB file = 5,728kb which gives a x1.MDE file = 4,716.MDE file

My x.MDB file seems to grow in size each time I do amendment to it, especially when adding/amending reports
(even after compacting)

Anyone know why this is growth of file size of a .mdb file is occurring during amendments?
Note: the newly created x1.mdb file runs exactly same as x.mdb = no errors

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:25
All Access databases grow when you add or modify records or db objects [forms, reports, text boxes, labels, etc.]. Deleting records or db objects does not decrease the size of the db until you compact it. You should regularly compact your databases.

R

RonB

fm RB ok -buut

OK but
this mdb file is linked to a data.mdb file
So does not grow as a result of data entry - just my design

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:25
I have read somewhere that for some changes to be made deffinate (clearing space) you need to decompile the DB and recompile.... This should return your db to its smallest possible state....

Greetz

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
You still have to compact the db after you decompile [then compile] the db to remove the wasted space so that the db is as small as possible.

R

RonB

reports only?

Thanks for your interest in this

Seems to me that (with this x.mdb file anyway)
Each time I do a amendment to any report, the size of .mdb grows

eg: today
Started with 5,640mb
After adding stuff to 3 reports (1 new field) = 9,648mb
After compacting = 6,082mb

So I guess the problem is to do with amending reports only
(this has not been observed, to this extent, when adding/amending forms/queries)

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Any design changes/additions will enlarge your db. Adding graphics to your reports or forms will greatly increase the size of your db since Access converts all graphics [jpg, gif, etc.] to bitmaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom