Security Warning in Access 2003 (1 Viewer)

sales@scantechintl.com

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:27
Since installing Access 2003, I get this warning when I open a database:

"This file may not be safe if it contains code that was intended to harm your computer.
Do you want to open this file or cancel the operation?"

Can I eliminate this warning?

Thank you,
John

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:27
If the db will only be used on your computer then you can create a personal digital certificate and sign it to your db.

If the db will be used by others then you will have to purchase [@ $400 US dollars] a digital certificate for all to use.

You can set your Access macro security to Low if you do not think that you have to worry about any macro viruses. But that is a risk you will have to consider for your computer.

Search the forum and you will find that you are not the first person to post your question concerning the macro security warnings in Access 2003.

sales@scantechintl.com

Registered User.
Local time
Security Warning

Holy Cow!

All I wanted was a simple Name & Address DB. Your answer was mind boggling.

Thank You
John

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In their infinite wisdom, the masters of Access in Redmond decided to add macro security to Access similar to that in the other office programs. Obviously they are not programmers themselves or the would have realized what a pain this is for developers.

You need to install the latest version of Jet, if you don't already have it. You can also set the macro security setting in Access to low. These two things will make Access act as it did in earlier versions. If you were not previously worried about malicious code in Access, there is no reason to worry now. These settings don't make Access any less secure. They simply raise our awareness of what could be done in an Access app.

sales@scantechintl.com

Registered User.
Local time
Security Warning

Hi Pat,

Thank you for your response.

I set the macros security setting to low and that works.

If I had to, how do I get the latest Jet version?

John

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If all the messages went away when you changed the macro security setting, you probably already have it. But, if you need it, you can get it from the Microsoft download site. I think Downloads is one of the tabs on the MS home page these days. "Check for Updates" from the Access Help menu may also do it.

ozlander

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:27
Thanks pat ... that has been bugging me for ages ... :)
Regards
Oz

dkirk02

Registered User.
Local time
Even after downloading the Jet Update, when I set the macro security to Low, it continually defaults back to Medium. Any ideas here?

Thanks in advance for any help.

DG in KC

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Is it a work or home PC? A work PC might be setup to over-ride any changes you make.

This command will alter the registry and set the Access macro security to LOW for all users.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Access\Security]
"Level"=dword:00000001
Copy and save that code into a text file but give the file a .reg extension. Then you can launch [double click] the file to update your PCs registry.

As any site will warn you... Backup your PCs registry before you attempt to alter it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom