Speed Of FE/BE on WinXP Pier to Pier Server (1 Viewer)

John.Woody

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:19
For sometime now I have been suffering and struggling to find a solution to my problem. I have a number of customers using my products very successfully on Win 98 Pier to Pier networks. When they upgraded to Windows XP they commented on how slow the db was to open when more than one person was using the db. Tests myself backed up my customers findings. The db is split FE on each local workstation and the BE on one workstation.

Atlast I've found the answer It lies in this link

Turn off the sharing violation notification delay
You can turn off the sharing violation notification delay to improve file server performance. To do this, follow these steps on the file server that stores the Access or Jet database engine-based program database.

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2. Locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

3. Right-click Parameters, point to New, click DWORD Value, type SharingViolationDelay, and then press ENTER.

Note When you create the SharingViolationDelay subkey entry, the default value that is assigned is 0x0. This is what we want.

If the SharingViolationDelay subkey entry already exists, right-click the SharingViolationDelay entry, click Modify, type 0, and then click OK.

4. Right-click Parameters, point to New, click DWORD Value, type SharingViolationRetries, and the press ENTER.

Note When you create the SharingViolationRetries subkey entry, the default value that is assigned is 0x0. This is what we want.

If the SharingViolationRetries subkey entry already exists, right-click the SharingViolationRetries entry, click Modify, type 0, and then click OK.

5. Quit Registry Editor.

For additional information about the sharing violation notification delay, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 150384 Shared file access is delayed if the file is open on another computer

I hope this might be useful to some of you out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom