Data Access Pages again.. (1 Viewer)

Bosch

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:47
I am getting very frustrated(and surprised) to see there was no answers to my question regarding Data Access Pages yet. I searched the web and manuals and help in Access, but no luck yet...
Can anyone tell me if Data Access Pages really works? I just came to know about it while developing MS Access application...I just thot it will be cool to go web with less effort...

Thanks very much...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Experts..

I am new to Access. I have Access 2003.
When I try to create a data access page using Wizard, I am getting the following message.

'The wizard is unable to create your data access page'

When I click on Database and select Refresh, I get the other msg

"Microsoft office access is unable to connect to the data source specified in the connection string of this page"..

I am very badly stuck here..Please help.

Thanks in advance...
Arun.

Meltdown

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:47
DAP's cannot be used successfully on the internet as they require the user to have MS Office XP installed and there is no way you can guarantee this. If you want your DB web accessible you need to use ASP/ASP.net.

Only use DAP's on intranets.

Last edited:

Bosch

Registered User.
Local time
It feels a little better now..

Thanks Meltdown..I am trying to use it within our intranet..I just want to have a web front end. My understanding is that I can create these html files thru data access pages and copy them to a shared drive..anyone on the intranet can use it..Do they need MS Access to use this ? We all using Windows 2000. But all of us may not have MS Access installed(everyone has Access 97 - But only a few have Access 2003)..

Anyways..I am not successful in creating a DAP yet....Any thoughts on the error msg I am getting?

Thanks..

Meltdown

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:47
Sorry, can't really help you with that error, all users who want to use the DAP's must have MS Office XP installed...it's actually the Office Web Component they need that ships with XP.

I think you should dump them and use proper forms.

cjoshdoll

Local time
Today, 02:47
Not to bump an OLD post, but I ran across a similar isssue today and google returned no help...

If you run into DAP issues and receive the above error message, try reinstalling MDAC, which is not the easiest of things to do since you cannot simply download the MDAC installer from MS and run it, as it will tell you that you already have MDAC installed.

To reinstall MDAC on XP SP2/3:

- Navigate to C:\windows\inf

- Locate mdac.inf

- Right click mdac.inf and select "Install"

You will be prompted for the service pack CD and the XP cd. There are numerous workarounds for the prompts, but to truly make sure all is reinstalled I reccomend downloading the service pack you are on and doing the following:

- Download SP2/3 "Network Installation" (do not use windows update for this - you can simply google service pack 2/3 network installation)

- Save the .exe to your computer and remember the location

- Once downloaded, double click the .exe you just downloaded

- It will start exctracting the service pack files. Take note of where they are extracting to (usually a long string of characters in the root of C like c:\c5abfdjkk378dfhj29)

- When the installation wizard appears, leave it alone, do not click next

- You can now go back to the MDAC prompt for the service pack cd and browse to the temporary location that the sp files were extracted to above.

- When prompted for the XP CD, either provide the CD or browse to the i386 folder if you have it saved on C:\ or on a network location. (As a last resort if you have no XP CD, you can browse to c:\windows\servicepackfiles\ and then use the i386 folder located there - however use this as a last resort)

- Once you have provided the locations for the SP and XP "CD's" MDAC will complete its install routine and MDAC will be repaired.

- Go back to the service pack installation wizard and cancel the installation. (If you are like me and install and remove a lot of apps, its not a bad idea before cancling the service pack install to copy the files located in the temporary location to another location on your machine or network so you dont have to extract them for times like this)

This should also cure visual basic errors when linking tables or otherwise using an odbc source in Access.

There are a few Hackware programs out there to reinstall/repair MDAC, but the method above is the best way to go if you can manage it.

Hope this saves someone some trouble down the road. :cool:

dhimanro

Local time
Hi!
What version of Internet Explorer are you using? This problem occurs if you are using IE 7 or later(the one with the tabs). So, just uninstall the latest IE and this should solve your problem.

I hope this helps.

Rohit

ravi.firedup

Local time
Today, 13:17
Hi All, Can you please let me know if DAP can be used for mulituser or only for single user.
If it can be used for multi user then how do i make it.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom