Error importing excel file (1 Viewer)

B

bmurr

So I have had Access for all of one day now. I am trying to import an excel file into access as a table. I successfully imported the first file but the second file gives me an error that says "An error occurred trying to import file ____. The file was not imported." What are the possible reasons this error has occurred? Both excel files I am importing are in the same format, so I am confused as to why one worked but the other did not. Thanks for any help.

statsman

Local time
Today, 10:25
Do you have a calculated value in your Excel table?

Access doesn't like to import Excel tables with calculated values. It prefers to do the calculations itself. The odd thing is sometimes it will accept it, somtimes it won't.

Make a copy of your Excel table and remove the calculated values. Import the table to Access. Then use a query to create your calculated values.

Hope this helps.

gpurger

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:25
Hi,
When Excel is inported access sets the columns data type to what is in the first row of the column.
If the data type changes then it will cause your error and create the error tables.

Tips
Do not have an empty first row.
Have only 1 row as headings.
Do not use merged cells.

I find that these are very good rules to apply. As you advance onto VBA you find ways around these problems.

Hope this helps

Gordon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom