Property value is too large. (Error 3309) (1 Viewer)

G

Geoff tenOever

I have developed a Tax Assessment solution using Access 2003, I already have in excess of 150k records, I have 7 tables; 55 queries; 30 forms.

My main table "Transact" has over 175 fields (yep I know its large, but I need all these fields and dont want to create 100's of tables). Since last week I cannot save any definition changes to my table, I keep receiving error 3309. I have searched all discussion groups but cannot find any decent solution.
1. I have not changed the index's, of no duplicates
2. I do not have more than 255 columns in table
3. I have increased the maxlocks substantially
4. run a compact & repair succesfully

What else can I try, as mentioend I am reluctant to split Transact into smaller tables.
Regards
Gto

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 12:58
I would guess you've realized a normalization issue. Care to share the table structure, or part of it?

G

Geoff tenOever

Thanks Ken, silly question , what and how should I send you . Gto

KenHigg

Local time
Hum...

Post something like:

MyTableName
fieldNameOne
fieldNameTwo
fieldNameThree

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
Geoff tenOever said:
My main table "Transact" has over 175 fields (yep I know its large, but I need all these fields and dont want to create 100's of tables).

What else can I try, as mentioend I am reluctant to split Transact into smaller tables.
Regards
Gto

Why are you reluctant? As Ken mentioned this is probably a normalization issue. If you are unfamiliar with normalization then you need to do some research on it. Normalization is the KEY concept in properly designing a relational database. If you don't normalize, you will find it will come back to haunt you.

Its much bteer to have lots of smaller tables without redundant data then to have one large table with a lot of duplications.

G

Geoff tenOever

I know I should Normalise, timing is somewhat of a issue right now.
I worked around this by importing the table and was able to bring on required mods. Thanks for the help

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
Geoff tenOever said:
I know I should Normalise, timing is somewhat of a issue right now.
I worked around this by importing the table and was able to bring on required mods. Thanks for the help

Timing will always be an issue if you don't normalize. You will wind up taking more time searching for workarounds to deal with the lack of normalization.

belsha

Registered User.
Local time
Are you using alot of text in the field description area in design mode? I am having the same problem, and found I could add a word to a description for one field at a time up to a certain number of fields, then get that error. We put alot of detail into those descriptions, so I wonder if there is a certain limit to the size of information you can use - either for a specific field or for that area in general? Any thoughts from the experts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom