LDB File won't close (1 Viewer)

esskaykay

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:54
We have a couple Access 2000 database's that are updated from Oracle data each night. There is a routine that opens Access, updates, then closes. However, on numerous occations, when it closes, the ldb file is still there. I can not delete the file without rebooting the server which I do not want to do every day.

Also, I noticed that the ldb file date is changed when I exit Access not when the db is opened. I thought the opposite was suppose to happen.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
SKK

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:54
Search around for there are a lot of posts discussing your question.

The .ldb file should be updated when you open and exit the db. The .ldb file will be deleted by the access db when the last user closes the db. The .ldb file will not disapear if the last user does not have delete rights to the directory that the db is located in. The .ldb file will not disapear if a previous user's computer still has a link to the db file because the user had a problem closing the db. Rebooting all of the computers stored in the .ldb file should release the lock the offending computer has on the db [.ldb] file. You can open the .ldb file with any text editing program [notepad.exe].

esskaykay

Registered User.
Local time
I've been reading all the post regarding this. However, I have not found a solution to my problem short of rebooting, which except under extreme circumstances is probably not an option. I did look at the ldb file using Notepad. I says I'm the culprit. However, I had truly closed the app safely. With all these posts out there, it sure seems like MS has a problem they should resolve. It's not like this is some anomaly.

Thanks for your response. I will see if there something else here I can do.

SKK

MsfStl

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:54
Open .ldb file after Access is closed

With reference to:
GHUDSON: "...The .ldb file will not disapear if the last user does not have delete rights to the directory that the db is located in...."

I have a user who is performing some data entry on a db on a server that they do not have "delete" rights to, so when they finish and close the program the .ldb file remains. Is there a way to correct this without changing the user rights? I wasn't sure why this was happening, until I saw this post. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

esskaykay

Registered User.
Local time
Nope never totally resolved the issue. I had IT rewrite our Oracle update routine a bit and haven't had the problem in quite some time (in fact I forgot about it). But, I never did find a way to resolve directly in Access.

Sorry,
SKK

micho36

Local time
Yesterday, 22:54
Ldb

Dear SKK,

The LDB file should be deleted by Jet if the following two conditions are met:

1-You place the database in a shared folder, and "all" users have the "delete" permissions on that folder.

2-The database is not corrupted.

I hope this helps.

Michel

allen

Local time
This worked for me once. It may not be your problem but it just takes a second:

Open the Access locked database,
Make a new query but don't select any tables,
Go to SQL view
Type: select a from b;
Run with the !
It gives an error because you have no table called 'b'
Close the database and it is unlocked!

If you actually have a table you called 'b' well... you should know better ;) and choose another letter for the above.

I got this trick from some discussion somewhere and am sorry I can't attribute it.

esskaykay

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Allen,
We havn't had this problem in a while but I'm sure I'll see it again.

Thanks again,
SKK

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Thanks Allen,
We havn't had this problem in a while but I'm sure I'll see it again.

Thanks again,
SKK

ghudson's advice is right on the money, but the two of you may have looked in the wrong direction.
You were examining whether:
The .ldb file will not disapear if the last user does not have delete rights to the directory that the db is located in.
Since the application works sometimes and not other times, this is most likely not the cause of your problem.

You also did not state if you have looked at whether:
The .ldb file will be deleted by the access db when the last user closes the db.
The last user can also be the last interactive user. In other words, if any of the users has left the application opened on their desktop, you could have this condition. This might also be why allen's suggestion works.

Boro

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:54
Possible cause of the problem is bedlly done job of projecting data bases.
Sometimes i have this problem when there is missteke in building data base. Solution is to correct bed things, maby in VB code or in forms or so.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
if you cannot delete the ldb file, i am inclined to think there REALLY is a user still active

rebooting the server kills the session, and then you can delete the .ldb file, but i suppose there is a remote possibility of deleting an active job, and causing some corruption

try checking the sessions/shares etc - you should be able to see which user has the back end open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom