Adding fields from new tables into forms (1 Viewer)

klwilbur

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:10
I created a form from the wizard. In the wizard, I added fields from two tables. Now, after the form is complete (and I've edited it in Design view so that it looks how I want it), I want to add another field from a third table.

Although I can add fields from the first two tables that were originally included (by clicking on the "Field List" icon and dragging fields from that list), I can't find a way to add fields from any other tables in my database. The "Field List" dialog box doesn't contain any fields from anything but the first two tables.

How to I get fields from other tables into the "Field List" dialog box?

Thanks,

Kelly

le888

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:10
The only thing you can do is add a subform.

Le

wkalo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:10
Hi

If You Created The Table From A Query Check Under Property Of The Form /Data /Record Source And Modify The Qery The Way You Want The When Closing The Query And Asked If You Want To Save Click yes The InThe Field List You Shoud See The Field Added Automatically ......

klwilbur

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:10
Thanks for the replies.

First, I created the form from a number of tables, not a queries.

However, I have found the way to do this:

Open the form and select design view.
Right click in the form and click "properties."
Select "Form" from the drop down box.
Click on the "Data" tab.
Click on the "Record Source" box and then click the box with "..." in it directly to the right of the list of tables that drops down.
At this point, you will see all the sources in the top of the window that are used in the Form and how they are used in the bottom of the window (exactly like a query design window). Just add a table and fields the same way you'd add them to a query. Close the screen and click "OK" that you want to save the new SQL query.
Once you are back to the form, click the "field list" button in the toolbar (if it is not there, then add it to the toolbar). The new fields from the new table should be listed in the drop down box.

Hope this helps someone else out.

Thanks,

Kelly

StephenSLR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:10
klwilbur said:
Thanks for the replies.

First, I created the form from a number of tables, not a queries.

However, I have found the way to do this:

Open the form and select design view.
Right click in the form and click "properties."
Select "Form" from the drop down box.
Click on the "Data" tab.
Click on the "Record Source" box

It's ok up to there but all you have to do is click in the Record Source box and a drop down arrow appears to the left of the box with the three dots "..." then select which table you want from the drop down list, no need to go into the "..." box.

The field list box will change automatically to the table you selected then just drag and drop the fields you want from the field list box straight into your form.

If the field list box isn't displayed click the field list button in the form design menu bar.

A simpler solution.

s

StephenSLR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:10
I have found that my above solution is good for getting the fields from another table into the form but when the form is displayed in form view the new field boxes contain "#Name?".

In design view a white diamond with exclamation mark appears and when I click on it there is a drop down box with "Invalid Control Source Property: Control Source" and "No Such Field in the Field List" highlighted.

If I change the Control Source then all the other field boxes display "#Name?".

What should I do now to rectify this to have all the fields workiing in the form?

s

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:10
You need to force the form to refresh its Fields collection. To do that, select whatever is in the RecordSource and use cntl-x to delete it. Move to a different property so the delete is registered. Then move back to the RecordSource and use cntl-v to paste the querydef name or SQL string back.

wkalo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:10
Hi
Could You Attach Your File? This Way We All CAn See Your Problem I Try To Solve It !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom