Solved A Shout Out (1 Viewer)

HillTJ

To train a dog, first know more than the dog..
Local time
Yesterday, 21:28
I am in the final stages of developing my “Beekeeping” database and shout out to all the people who made it a reality. To describe the project, I purchased a ‘FlowHive’ some 18 months ago. This type of hive is unique in that it dispenses honey without the need to remove (and disrupt the bees). The usual method involves individual honey filled frames, that require processing by removing the wax capping on the cells, centrifuging to remove the honey then filtering into a container.

Instead, the ‘Flow’ hive uses 6 or 7 ‘Frames’ which are plastic honey combe structures that are split vertically and held together by a tensioning wire. These replace the traditional frames. Upon harvesting honey, it’s a matter of inserting a ‘key’ that moves one side of the frame against the other & effectively shears the cells. The honey drains by gravity and via a spout to your jar. Bingo! Job done.

I quickly learnt that I did not have a decent method of record keeping, thus the database. In particular, in Australia beekeepers must be registered @3 yearly intervals & participate in an online biosecurity course at same intervals. Further, full hive inspections are required quarterly to check for pests & it’s a good way of checking the health of the hive.

Anyway, my application is unique to ‘Flowhives’ & my record keeping should (when I have sufficient data) enable me to report on honey yield per hive/cell month/ year & all the good stuff Access can do.

So, my layout is multiple beekeepers have multiple Apiaries (bee farms) which have multiple hives that have up to seven flowframes each. I also keep records of financial ins & outs & have a form to attach documents. I employ lots of photos & attachments (file paths only).

So to the Shout Outs;

In no particular order
  • @isladogs for his resizeform Me, his treatise on database security & his open any file code.
  • @DbGuy for his BE backup code
  • JStreet for his awesome BE Relinker
  • @arnelgp for his ‘registration’ code & tidbits
  • Daniel Pinault for his image resize/rotate code & Outlook Integration.
  • @bastanu for his guidance when I got ‘unguided’ & putting up with random (silly?) questions.
  • Allen Browne and his code repository
  • @Pat Hartman for her guidance & generosity. I learn’t how to use ‘BeforeUpdate’ to validate fields rather than use unique fields. I also pulled apart her Dynamic Menu code, but liked how she queries a system table to capture changes to forms & her method of maintaining a register of revisions.
  • Richard Rost for his series of Tech Help Videos
  • Anyone who contributed to my threads over the past 6 months or so. They were all important to this project in some way.
  • All the other Access fanatics out there that have freely published some awesome code.
What to do next? Debug, test & enter some real data!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 04:28
Great post! All the folks you mentioned spend a crazy amount of their FREE time on here to help us mere mortals out. Their only compensation is our gratitude which is not always given...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom