Availability of pop-up keyboard (1 Viewer)

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:14
I have a need of a pop-up keyboard that the user can use to enter data using a stylus pen.

If nothing is available I will need to create my own from scratch.

Regards,
John

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:14
try this code:

'set focus to the textbox
Me!textbox1.Setfocus
'Open On-Screen keyboard
CreateObject("Shell.Application").Namespace(0).ParseName("c:\windows\system32\osk.exe").InvokeVerb ("Open")

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks, this will work. I also stumbled across it.

I have a multi-language requirement, so I would need to create my own.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 20:14
Also have a look at my article
This includes code for loading either the older on-screen keyboard osk.exe or the newer version tabtips.exe intended for use with tablets but available on all devices

I believe these keyboards will automatically update to match the layout for the locale currently loaded. In other words, I don't think you will need to spend time creating your own version.

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Also have a look at my article
This includes code for loading either the older on-screen keyboard osk.exe or the newer version tabtips.exe intended for use with tablets but available on all devices

I believe these keyboards will automatically update to match the layout for the locale currently loaded. In other words, I don't think you will need to spend time creating your own version.
You are correct regarding the multi-language.

I will look at your suggestions. In the end I may do my own keyboard. I have done it in the past and it is a matter of a couple of hours work.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Your choice of course though I would expect it to take a bit longer than that to do well.
Out of interest, what advantages would your own version have over the built-in tablet keyboard (with its various options)?

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Your choice of course though I would expect it to take a bit longer than that to do well.
Out of interest, what advantages would your own version have over the built-in tablet keyboard (with its various options)?
It will be used for patients at dental clinics to enter their personal data. My version would be simpler. I would show everything in one picture, no need to press Shift etc. I expect to have only uppercase letters, the numbers and some useful symbols such as @, dash, comma etc. Once I have it I will post it. Also I need to find a way to easily enter dates, for entering DOB. I have a pop-up calendar which I created from scratch, which I may use to enter the dates.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Perhaps another utility of mine will be useful to you.
It was designed to replicate the kiosk mode display used when patients login at their doctor prior to an appointment.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:14
I have a pop-up calendar which I created from scratch
there is already a built-in calendar in msa.
just format your textbox as any date format (short date, etc)
and when the textbox get focus, the datepicker will show.

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
there is already a built-in calendar in msa.
just format your textbox as any date format (short date, etc)
and when the textbox get focus, the datepicker will show.
I ended up creating the attached keyboard as part of the form where I need to enable the user to enter data using a stylus.

It is a minimal keyboard, specifically targeting the non-sophisticated user. Only uppercase is allowed.

Attachments

• Keyboard.jpg
    Keyboard.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 105

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
The fields that the keyboard is used to enter data into, do not require multiple lines.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Out of interest did you look at the approach used in the linked article in post #8?

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, I did and thank you for the suggestion. I have two products one is Cloud based (VB.net-SQL Server on Azure) and the other a Desktop version with the FE Access and BE ACE. If I was starting from scratch I would consider it. What appears to work very nicely is to be able to enter a new patient by entering the Last Name, First Name and Contact Telephone, directly in the Appointment and if the combination of Last, First, Tel does not exist it will be added. In one go, you enter the patient and the appointment. I can send a video if you are interested.

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Apparently, I cannot attach a video, so I attach a screenshot.
If you want to add a new patient with last name LAST, first name FIRST and telephone number 9988776655, you enter the information directly in the appointment slot, in this case at 10am.
If the combination LAST FIRST TELEPHONE does not exist in the db, then the user is informed of this and prompted to enter it in the db.

Attachments

• NewPatient.jpg
    NewPatient.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 107

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom