"Data type mismatch in criteria expression" Error When Trying To Pass A Variable (1 Viewer)

lhooker

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:07
Can someone tell me why I'm getting the below error message.

"Data type mismatch in criteria expression"

I'm trying to pass a variable (via VBA) from a form to another form that retrieves a associated records to the form called. The form criteria is to match a variable that has the value of the Now() statement. All date fields and variables are defined as a date format. Attached is a sample version of the forms and tables. Thanks ! ! !

Attachments

• X.mdb
    1.4 MB · Views: 37

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't have time to look at the database but Now() is a double precision number and with a gazillion decimal places, it is hard to get an exact match.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:07
You are attempting to pass a date/time variable through string syntax, putting quotes (") around something that isn't inherently a string. That ought to earn you a type mismatch error right there. To pass time in quotes you have to format it into a string first, and you haven't done that.

Pat's comment is significant as well. Passing a date/time field filled from Now() is a sure-fire way to get non-equal comparisons. You have, in essence, 86,400 different times of day plus quite a range of possible dates you could use for the timestamp (not counting what you ARE using.)

What is the theory behind this passage? Is the timestamp supposed to be a unique value so that you can use it as a search key?

lhooker

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for responding ! ! ! . . . Is a there a command to convert Now() to a character string ?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 20:07
Thanks for responding ! ! ! . . . Is a there a command to convert Now() to a character string ?
Use a format

'Public Const strcJetDate = "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#" 'Needed for dates in queries as Access expects USA format.
Public Const strcJetDate = "\#yyyy-mm-dd\#" 'Needed for dates in queries as Access expects USA but will accept ISO format.

lhooker

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks ! ! ! . . . How can I convert Now() to a string character in MS Access VBA ?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well my format function only works on dates without tìmevalue. Do you actually need Now() and not Date() ???

lhooker

Registered User.
Local time
I'm trying to combine the date and time together into a variable and pass the variable to a MS Access form.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Just pass the value as is.
You only need to format if using in a sql string, or anywhere it is needed as a string.
Leave it as it is, in date format as much/long as you can.
Use a TempVar to pass the value? or just pass Now() as an OpenArgs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom