Solved File associations in 2019? (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 23:22
Well I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to 2019 from 2007. :)
2007 was fine for my needs, but I got tired of downloading dbs from here and elsewhere, only to find I could not open them. :)

Now that means I can even look at the Northwind2 Developer DB, so I download the template.
Only to find that not program is associated with the accdt suffix?

Is this the norm these days? 2007 would open templates without any issues, 2003 as well for that matter? :)

I have now set it, but was just curious?

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hooray. You finally updated. Why 2019 though rather than 2021 or 365?

On my machine, ACCDT files are associated with Access
However for info, ACCDT files are not actually Access databases.
They are a collection of objects zipped together in a bundle which when extracted create all the components for the ACCDDB file
If you rename the .accdt as .zip you will see what I mean

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
You finally updated. Why 2019 though rather than 2021 or 365?
Purely down to cost Colin. As I mentioned, I really have no need of a later version, but unable to open a lot of the dbs was starting to annoy me, and was limiting me in how I could help others. :)

They are a collection of objects zipped together in a bundle which when extracted create all the components for the ACCDDB file
Did not know that, but they were associated with 2007 as I had opened several templates in the past. Strange how 2019 did not re-asscociate on installation.

I do have a few extra functions in Excel now, so they might come in handy. :)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:22
Purely down to cost Colin.
The full version of office costs at least 3 or 4 times as much as the annual subscription. If you found a "bargain" it is almost certainly pirated.

If you only need 1 copy of Office, I think it's around $70 annually. But for $99 you get six installs so all your computers and maybe even the spouse and kids get one too.

Much as I dislike the subscription model, at least MS has been keeping the price down pretty low.

Jason Lee Hayes

Local time
I believe all Microsoft applications should be free; in fact, i would go on to say they should pay us for using their product... It's simply unreliable at the best of times...

AHeyne

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:22
Just out of interest, @Gasman : Which update channel does your Office 2019 installation belong to? And is it of installation type MSI or C2R?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Just out of interest, @Gasman : Which update channel does your Office 2019 installation belong to? And is it of installation type MSI or C2R?
Not sure I know to be honest. It was downloaded as an img file and expands to the normal structure you would have on a DVD, with cab files.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
2019 is only available as C2R
Most 'cheap' Office licenses are where a volume license has been obtained by the reseller who then sells on a number of licenses with the same license key. You may find that you cannot obtain monthly updates for the software.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well I have not had updates for 2007 for quite a while now. :)
So that would be the least of my problems.

If push comes to shove, I still have 2007 to fall back on. :unsure:

You yourself have been pushing me to upgrade on several occasions in the past?, and I only did it for the Access program. Word and Excel I was happy with, as that could open later version files regardless, just Access would not.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
As already mentioned, I'm pleased you've upgraded. I was just explaining how some versions of Office can be purchased so cheaply.
I've done it myself in the past & so I know some of the potential issues.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:22
If you use all 6 of the licenses from the "home" version or whatever it is being called these days which sells for $99 + tax so I paid $108, the cost per day, per license is less than 5 cents. If you use only one license, the cost per day is 29 cents. A bargain compared to your Starbucks Latte;) I've seen the "home" version for sale at Costco for about $10 less.

I have always avoided these websites because I know that MS prohibits bulk licenses from being sold this way. That is assuming that they even have legimite licenses and are not reselling the same license to everyone.

I would love to have VMs with multiple versions available but the cost of setting them up when you are not an MVP any more is prohibitive, I would love it if MS could find a way to package these for developers for testing only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom