Solved How much computer memory is required to run SQL Server Cloud (1 Viewer)

nector

Local time
Today, 13:53
I have come across the statement below suggesting that the memory could be very important to gain speed with MS Access linked to cloud SQL database:

SQL Server is a memory hog. You'd need 32-64 gb minimum, depending on the databases it's handling.

Is the above statement true????????

ebs17

Local time
Today, 12:53
If you work with Access: An Access file can be a maximum of 2 GB, Access cannot manage more.
The same quantity limitation applies to query content.

A lot more RAM is only useful to you so that other running programs don't block the memory available for Access.

What is much more important is that Access (Jet-SQL) works locally and has to pull data from the SQL server. Therefore, on the one hand, the usable bandwidth of the connection is an important issue; this is always smaller than if the SQL Server were installed on the same local computer.
On the other hand, you have to make sure that your instructions cause as little network traffic as possible, because a lot of work costs a lot of time.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:53
SQL Server is a memory hog
Suggest provide a link to the article this came from as I suspect it is to do with the machine the server is mounted on, not the machines hosting the front end

I do hope the reason you are using sql server is not to improve performance over an access back end. At best it will be about the same, at worst it will be significantly slower. All depends on how efficient your sql is and how it is used to minimise network traffic

only real reasons for moving is improved security and greater storage plus perhaps the need to be able to connect from anywhere or allow non access users (such as customers) to connect via a browser

Last edited:

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 03:53
I have come across the statement below suggesting that the memory could be very important to gain speed with MS Access linked to cloud SQL database:

SQL Server is a memory hog. You'd need 32-64 gb minimum,
depending on the databases it's handling.

Is the above statement true????????
It may be true (and probably is) but it's probably irrelevant to anyone running an Access Front End against a SQL Server "cloud" database.

Some things that could be relevant include whether or not that "cloud" database is shared with multiple tenants-- the databases it's handling-- in a hosted environment and the competence of the organization running it. Other factors include the internet connection between your accdb FE and that "cloud" database and the design of your accdb FE. It applies more to the hosting company than to your application. If you use a host that skimps on resources, you probably will get lower performance, but that's under your control. You can find alternate "cloud" providers if you need to do so. You can even obtain dedicated servers from a cloud hosting company--at substantially higher costs, of course.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:53
SQL Server does indeed tend to grab as many resources as the OS it's mounted on will sensibly allow.
I have 64Gb RAM on my laptop, and if I fire up SQL Server on it it will pretty much grab ~30Gb or more straight away.

That has nothing to do with Access, it's to do with SQL Server allowing overhead to work efficiently.

It makes no odds if it's cloud based or in a submarine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom