Linked Table of MS Access: Sharepoint or OBDC (phpMyAdmin) (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:44
Removing adp's was one of the worst things Microsoft has ever done to Access, unforgivable.
Interesting. I think they were an abomination.

When they were first announced, I was excited to build one. I discovered within the first few days that I couldn't even link to a Jet table and so I stopped development and went back to the linked tables method. There was no way that every single database in my client's company could immediately be converted to SQL Server. There was always going to be a need to link to Jet or possibly even some other RDBMS. SQL Server has a very large share of the market but in the early days, I was creating Access apps linked to whatever RDBMS the client IT people wanted to support so in the first few years I did DB2, Oracle, Sybase, Postgre, a couple I forgot, and eventually a SQL Server BE. Adp's were hard wired to work with SQL server and so were inflexible and ultimately useless in my world.

I later discovered how very different forms were.

I think the mistake was making the adp completely different to the point where it wasn't actually Access but it was Access in name only. Similar to what they did with the web abominations they built.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 10:44
Interesting. I think they were an abomination.

When they were first announced, I was excited to build one. I discovered within the first few days that I couldn't even link to a Jet table and so I stopped development and went back to the linked tables method. There was no way that every single database in my client's company could immediately be converted to SQL Server. There was always going to be a need to link to Jet or possibly even some other RDBMS. SQL Server has a very large share of the market but in the early days, I was creating Access apps linked to whatever RDBMS the client IT people wanted to support so in the first few years I did DB2, Oracle, Sybase, Postgre, a couple I forgot, and eventually a SQL Server BE. Adp's were hard wired to work with SQL server and so were inflexible and ultimately useless in my world.

I later discovered how very different forms were.

I think the mistake was making the adp completely different to the point where it wasn't actually Access but it was Access in name only. Similar to what they did with the web abominations they built.
Interesting perspective, I do see what you mean

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom