"New" Outlook breaks VBA? (1 Viewer)

Avoraightu

Local time
Today, 15:35
I have had some reports within our company that switching to the "New Outlook" is breaking some of the VBA code I have written for our Access App.
Specifically I have some code that generates and sends an email through Outlook that we have been using for years with no issue, lately I have been hearing that after switching to the New Outlook, the command button is now throwing Error (2493).

Can anybody confirm this? I don't want to switch Outlook versions just to test.

Thanks

Avoraightu

Local time
Today, 15:35
Thanks for the quick response, not exactly was I was hoping to hear, but it is what it is.
Looks like I need to contact IT.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:35
I am using Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2310 Build 16.0)

I have just written code to send emails from Access, and that is working fine. (see my recent HTML thread)

In the past, I had an issue where an older version of Access (A2003) just would not instantiate the outlook object correctly, and I surmised there might be an issue if Access and Outlook were different builds. Just thinking out loud, but could that be the issue? The users having problems are using an old version of Access?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:35
I am using Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2310 Build 16.0)

I have just written code to send emails from Access, and that is working fine. (see my recent HTML thread)

In the past, I had an issue where an older version of Access (A2003) just would not instantiate the outlook object correctly, and I surmised there might be an issue if Access and Outlook were different builds. Just thinking out loud, but could that be the issue? The users having problems are using an old version of Access?
Hi Dave,

You might be using the "Classic" Outlook and not the "New" Outlook.

1699466085742.png

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Just to add, 'New' Outlook is not installed by default.
There is a toggle switch that can be switched on to try it but if you do, a lot of existing Outlook functionality will be lost in addition to automation from other Office apps (Excel/Access etc)
If switched on, you can (and in my opinion SHOULD) toggle it off and return to standard Outlook.

There is a registry setting which, if applied, means that users will not see the toggle switch and so try the new Outlook without knowing the implications.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I must be using old outlook then.

But does this mean you can't manipulate the outlook application objects from within VBA? Is that what they we are talking about, or some external library that's trying to manage emails?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Suggest you read the article linked in post #2 and the additional links in that article

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've added a general discussion thread about this option, rather than post in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom