Problems with Excel spreadsheet import (1 Viewer)

vangogh228

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:25
I have attempted to import an Excel spreadsheet of 409 records into an existing table. I got all my field names done OK, and all the data came in OK... EXCEPT:

In the table, I have six Y/N checkboxes. In the spreadsheet, I had the input clerk put in "Yes" and "No" in the appropriate cells. I got an error that said "There was an error during the import. Import not completed. 409 records were converted to NULL because of data conversion errors."

Once I simply deleted the columns in the spreadsheet that held the "Yes" and "No" data, the conversion completed fine.

Any ideas on how to import "Yes" and "No" data???? Thanks!!!

Ally

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:25
I did a test and it worked with the yes and no, so not sure why it's not working for you. What Data Type is the Yes / No field in Excel?

One way you could get round it is:

Convert (probably using Find and Replace) all your Yes' to -1 and No's to 0. Import this, then go into the design of your new table and change that field to Yes / No which will convert the -1's to Yes and 0's to No. (I tried this in my test and it worked - you'll get a message saying "the Data Type has changed and data may be lost", but it's ok. Blank fields are converted to No.

Last edited:

mark curtis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:25
or try True or False

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:25
The other approach is to use a query instead of a table.

For each column of the query corresponding to your Yes/No field, compute an expression

IIf( [YNField], "Y", "N" )

then export the query.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom