Property value is too large (1 Viewer)

JamesN

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:45
Hi,

I have a front end access form which is updating a back end table with new records. This is published on Sharepoint and users are having no issues simultaneously adding records.

I added some columns the other day to the back end table, following this I made a change to a record in the Access data table and when saving the table I got error message 'Property value is too large' when saving the table.

Any ideas how I can stop this appearing?

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 15:45
What field?
What is the property of the field?
What data are you adding?

JamesN

Registered User.
Local time
Getting this error when changing any field. There are a mixture of text, number and memo columns, when making any changes I am ensuring a text is changed to a text only, number to number etc.

Not adding any data just simply changing data, eg changing a text column such as "Met" to "Not Met".

Any ideas? I did reach the limit to no of columns but have reduced this now to a much lower figure

JamesN

Registered User.
Local time
Even without changing any data in the table, when opening it, right clicking and clicking save I am still receiving the error?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:45
I did reach the limit to no of columns but have reduced this now to a much lower figure

Whoops! How many fields are in the table? If you use the database's table analyzer, count up the sizes of the fields to see how long that record is. You have a secondary limit on record size of one disk buffer or 4096 bytes (8 x 512-byte disk sector). Access won't allow you to span a record across two buffers.

If you have more than four or five ShortText fields and tend to fill them up, your record will go bang,zoom in a heartbeat. Or, if you have those ShortText fields but don't limit them to some number less than 255 byes each, Access has to assume they could be huge and immediately run up against that limit. If you had, say, 17 ShortText fields with limits of 255 bytes each in that record, you blew the size limit for the total record.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 21:45
JamesN, have you tried a Compact and Repair?
Else create a new database and import all into it.
Another solution could be to run a table creation query at the problem table.

JamesN

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks all for your help. I've deleted some of the columns from the back end database, over 50 which were no longer being used anymore. This has fixed the issue. Will bear the other tips in mind if I encounter the issue again or a related one

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom