Variable has a random capital ever since I typed it in wrong in a table. How to fix? (2 Viewers)

wackywoo105

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:49
This is an odd one. I set a table up and created a form from it. I then wrote some vba code. A while later I noticed I had named a field in the database SUrname instead of Surname.

I've rewritten it as Surname in table, field controls etc, but in vba code it still corrects to SUrname. I then deleted it from everywhere and still on typing it auto changes to SUrname.

Is there a way to fix this? I have done it before and after a lot of mucking about it did fix, but by then I didn't know what I had done that fixed it.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 05:49
When you write in VBA most of the time
Me.Surname is referencing a control. It only references a field if no control with that name exists. When added the control the first time it was named SUrname by default but there is no "link". So if you then changed the name the control is still SUrname. You need to edit the control

wackywoo105

Registered User.
Local time
I've deleted it from all tables. I've deleted it from all forms. I've deleted it from all vba. I've compacted and repaired. I closed and reopened. When I type Surname it changes to SUrname.

What could I be missing? I wish I could get on with my life but I feel like Walter White chasing a fly. The annoying thing is I have fixed this issue before but can't seem to this time.

Also when you say decompile and recompile I have never compiled in the first place.

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Post your database. Someone will locate the culprit.

MajP

Local time
FYI. VBA has no idea what is in your tables or queries so changing the name in your tables and compact repair will not have any impact. However a a compile will affect this. If there are no problems in the code a compile happen automatically. If there is a problem it will not recompile. You have to manually select compile and then fix all the problems first. My guess is you need to force a compile. I have seen this before.
compile.png

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:49

MajP

Local time
@wackywoo105. Nothing wrong with decompiling first, but that takes a little extra work. In the past when I have seen this it normally is hung on compiling because there is an error/s in the code. Try compiling first. If that does not do the trick then read the article on decompiling. It is worth going through the decompile drill either way because it is a good skill set to have.

MajP

Local time
Also here is an interesting fix.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:49
Have you checked for any occurrence of

Code:
Dim SUrname

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I would use find in the project / code window to look for any instance of SUrname just to rule it out.

wackywoo105

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks everyone. I was going to try and post the database but there is a lot of sensitive info I was trying to remove before doing so.

Anyway I renamed the field in tables. Deleted it from all forms. Found and replaced all occurrences with the code. Along with lots of compact and repair (may not do anything but why not). I then declared the variable in a module and slowly added it back elsewhere.

The first time I did this this I thought it had worked. I went to bed happy and then the next morning was getting SUrname again :/. I had another go and this time it has stuck.

This is a database I started building around 10+ years ago and have added lots to it over time. I have no background in coding so the early code is a mess and has gradually improved over time. This is why you will see some daft questions from me as I never learned basic concepts before ploughing on.

MajP

Local time
Again, most of what you described will do nothing. A full decompile and recompile is more likely a solution.

Josef P.

Local time
Today, 11:49
@wackywoo105: have you enabled 'Trac name AutoCorrect info'?

/edit: tested now with naming of a form control (TextBox)
This works for me (with disabled AutoCorrect info):
  1. SaveAsText
  2. Delete form
  3. Compact Db
  4. LoadFromText
Decompile did not bring any change for me.
Does Decompile possibly only affect the VBA code and not the control definitions of a form?

With that, it also worked: https://team-moeller.de/?Add-Ins:TM-RebuildDatabase

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Another possible solution.
At the top of a module (below Option Explicit) put

Dim Surname as Variant

Compile the code and save.
Compact and repair
Delete the line, recompile, compact and repair again.

Josef P.

Local time
@Minty: tested and works with my test app ... this is the simplest method.

/edit: looked up, did not work.
The declaration of the variable (in a standard module) was changed to the wrong notation in my case).

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
@Josef P.

Normally that indicates it is declared somewhere else as well then.
That method has always worked for me in the past when the editor appears to have cached a strangely capitalised version of a variable or function name.

It must be declared outside of a named function or sub, so that it is globally available.

Josef P.

Local time
I usually did it similar to what you described.
In the attached example, however, this does not work.

This also works in the attached example:
  1. create a new name: SUrname => SurnameX
  2. Compact
  3. rename again: SurnameX => Surname

Attachments

• RenamingTest.zip
    20 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Mike Krailo

Local time
I've always made the corrections to the tables and controls and just imported everything into a new database and fixed this sort of annoyance that way. It cleans up all the behind the scenes tables the ms access uses.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:49
(Half joking) Maybe Surname is a weird word.

I have a query in SSMS where SURNAME is a column in a Temporary table. No matter what I do, SSMS is absolutely convinced it is an invalid column name when I refer to it in the main main query. It is perfectly happy with all the other columns in the temp table.

The query runs just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom