Hello, looking for mentor for my project (1 Viewer)

typhoonikan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:28
Hello!
My name is Jordan and I am halfway through my masters in Information Systems. Of course, for graduation, I must submit a finalized project where I have done system design, analysis, database, etc. I have chose to use Access because the project I am working on is for a small company, <10 people.

I am in a pickle though because I am finding that at some points, I am needing a little guidance and my professors haven't referred me to anyone. I don't believe they know of anyone with in-depth Access skills. I have posted once or twice on the forums, but without a real mentor, I feel like I am slowing down or stopped on my progress.

If anyone would be interested in mentoring me through my project, I would like to talk about terms and what be expected. From my end, I can't imagine anything demanding, probably some online voice chat throwing ideas around, getting feedback, etc. As far as payment, keep in mind I am a poor graduate student, but would plan to reward reasonably for mentorship.

If anyone is interested, please let me know and we can swap emails and discuss it further.

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:28
What's the title of your project? Where are you studying?

I think it would be quite difficult for anyone other than a course tutor to mentor you. The course tutor will know what the requirements are for your project in your institution and will try to help steer you to keep you on track e.g. challenging some of your ideas, your project timescales, maybe suggesting other areas to research.

I would expect your project to be aiming to research some problem. Simply designing and implementing a database is unlikely to cut it. In the UK a "masters" is post-grad degree with a heavy emphasis on research. So if if you are design a database for example, then I would think you would be expected to research and compare different methodologies for solving a problem e.g. implementation of sub-entities, optimisation of indexing.

I think one of the dangers of using Access if that it would become easy to focus on providing an end product and get involved in say VBA. If your project is about providing a good user interface then I can see why you'd get stuck into VBA and discussion about the merits of different controls. But if it's about the database design then VBA shouldn't really figure much (unless you maybe want to simulate triggers).

Anyway that's just my opinion from my own experiences.

Good luck with your project

typhoonikan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:28
What's the title of your project? Where are you studying?

I think it would be quite difficult for anyone other than a course tutor to mentor you. The course tutor will know what the requirements are for your project in your institution and will try to help steer you to keep you on track e.g. challenging some of your ideas, your project timescales, maybe suggesting other areas to research.

I would expect your project to be aiming to research some problem. Simply designing and implementing a database is unlikely to cut it. In the UK a "masters" is post-grad degree with a heavy emphasis on research. So if if you are design a database for example, then I would think you would be expected to research and compare different methodologies for solving a problem e.g. implementation of sub-entities, optimisation of indexing.

I think one of the dangers of using Access if that it would become easy to focus on providing an end product and get involved in say VBA. If your project is about providing a good user interface then I can see why you'd get stuck into VBA and discussion about the merits of different controls. But if it's about the database design then VBA shouldn't really figure much (unless you maybe want to simulate triggers).

Anyway that's just my opinion from my own experiences.

Good luck with your project

The nature of my project is to design, implement, and present my solution to a scenario and yes, list considerations for other possibilities to the solution, but this is not what I need a mentor for. I need a mentor for Access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom