Isaac Asimov Foundation Trilogy (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 04:14
@vba_php I've always thought you post more to get you post count up rather than having valid input into the problem
LOL. I can't believe you said that Mick. a POST COUNT? you're kidding me, right? I don't even know why anyone would care about a "post count". is that a desire of an internet troll? does it have something to do with someone's desire to be known and garner further future sales, or possibilities of sales? I don't know anything about internet dwellers because all of my business is done in real life. that's where i find success, it's where I make my money. I answer here strictly for fun, and that's about it. (oh yeah, that, and to pass on the knowledge to those trying to do for themselves). It doesn't matter one bit to me if anyone here thinks I have any skill in access at all. but to say that I have the intelligence or behavior of a 13 year old is so outrageously off-the-wall ridiculous, I'm not even going to give another thought to it after I submit the post button in 5 seconds....

by the way, I'm surprised you said anything at all Mick, considering the help I gave you in the form of useful information in the thread you started about finding a CSS editor. apparently you didn't appreciate that either, huh? Just remember, there's a very visible IGNORE button you can push to see the childish posts of mine disappear. why not get at it? it'll make your frustrations go away immediately. ;)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Helping someone is always good, Adam, and I commend you for the attempts. But using that attempt later when someone points out that your behavior is inappropriate SOUNDS like a 13-year-old petulant child saying, "Well, if you don't want to play with me any more, I'll take my ball home with me now."

Remember, we cannot read minds. Regardless of what you intended to do, the face you present to us is that petulant 13-year-old man-child. We can only go by what we see. You make claims of your intent but then your posts seem somehow inconsistent. Robert Burns said it pretty well in his poem "To a Louse, on Seeing One on a Lady's Bonnet at Church."

“O, wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as others see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us, an' foolish notion.”

If you need that translated from Scottish dialect, I'd be happy to do so.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:14
Love the fountation/robot series can see where what the guy was getting at.
So asimov can predict the future after all 😀
As Asimov books were 'predicting' was the general path of humanity. It makes me think of scientists attempting to predict the weather. They make predictions of what is most probable. I make the example of trying to predict where a stick will be at (precisely) in a river five miles downstream where it was dropped.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:14
They make predictions of what is most probable

There's a chap, Ray Kurzweil, who wrote a book "The Singularity is Near" which was/is a prediction of the future. I read the book and it was fascinating to read, and it is marvellous to see many of Ray's predictions coming true.

The Singularity Is Near Movie Trailer

Last edited:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
“O, wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as others see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us, an' foolish notion.”
what in the world do I need you for that, Richard? :rolleyes:

what_do_I_need_you_for.jpg

you yourself might become obsolete in the near future, sir. Maybe you should join a church? ;) that's how the true christians protect themselves from the ruthlessness of the world. but rest assured, all of them will disappear before the rest burn when the fire comes from above. keep wallowing in your disbelief, mr. science. as for the 13-year old issue, I'll discard your comment just like I did Mick's. But I'll try not to annoy either one of you again. I'll try my best to keep the promise. thanks. furthermore, I'll steer clear of any questions you ask. but I don't think I've ever seen a single thread started by you, Richard.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
as for the 13-year old issue, I'll discard your comment just like I did Mick's.
keep wallowing in your disbelief, mr. science.

And there you go AGAIN, discarding ANYTHING that isn't consistent with your world view that YOU are right and everyone else is wrong. Adam, you really don't get it. You keep on giving us your little "hints" about religion because you are trying to make us better by YOUR world view. But when we do the same you reject it. And then you get miffed when we reject your foolishness, but then you wonder why WE get upset when you don't listen to our advice, even though you have been short-term banned how many times now? You JUST DON'T GET IT.

I don't think I've ever seen a single thread started by you, Richard.

I used to ask a lot of questions but some years ago the forum was badly hacked. A LOT of the questions I had asked when I was a newbie are now lost without backups because of that hack. It may have even been before your first time around under your older name.

I don't post new questions now because I don't have anything I want to ask that much. No, I don't claim to have all the answers. I merely have all the answers I need at the moment. When one comes up, who knows? I might actually post something. Until then, you don't have to worry about steering clear of that which doesn't exist, just as I don't worry about that which doesn't exist either.

Your translation didn't seem to do much, by the way. Did you even READ the results? Why are you so proud of what is essentially a failure?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
No one knows everything man. I just happen to know a bit bout how the inner connectivity of the technological world works. And that's probably why their listening. They're afraid I will try to infiltrate or something. After all us lonely citizens aren't supposed to know what the government knows right? As for me being a "my way only"....I'm sure u realize after all ur years in the navy that one has to show favoritism to the org they r part of at least a little bit otherwise the leaders of that org will look at u as unfaithful and not for them and their beliefs. That stupid $hit even is going on at the monetary. The fear of each other is everywhere richard. U can't avoid it. But at least at the monetary they r in no danger of overthinking simple issues and getting in fights. That's why I love the place so much. I'm sure ur smart enuff to figure out what I'm saying at ur age right? God I would hope so!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Or we can choose to not be paranoid, Adam. I can calmly walk on my daily neighborhood walk, confident in the fact that the people who see me are not out to get me. They are indifferent to me, and indifference is a form of camouflage. Nobody gives a damn whether you are interested in some kind of conspiracy. Usually because if you apply a little bit of logic and a little knowledge of human nature, you would realize that most of those conspiracies are too big to survive without falling apart under their own weight.

Douglas Adams suggested in his Hitchhiker's series a perfect "invisibility" field called the SEP field... "Somebody Else's Problem." It is a psychological effect. It makes everyone who sees an object with the SEP field around it think "Oh, that is someone else's problem. I can safely ignore it." And they go on about their business. Freakin' Godzilla could walk the streets of New York City and if he had an SEP field, nobody would care. Meanwhile, the enfielded object or entity is perfectly safe and secure behind the perfect form of invisibility - the "nobody gives a damn" field.

Actually, Randall Garrett used that in Too Many Magicians, though he called it the Tarnhelm Effect. If you see something shielded that way, your immediate response is, "Oh, that belongs there" and you ignore it.

You want to be perfectly invisible to the government? Don't do the things that will attract their attention. Become an invisible man. Heck, disappear into the monastery for a few years. You could use the peace and quiet. So could we.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
You want to be perfectly invisible to the government? Don't do the things that will attract their attention. Become an invisible man. Heck, disappear into the monastery for a few years. You could use the peace and quiet. So could we.
YOU could too? I don't think so richard. I'm not going anywhere. I enjoy being logged in here. The only way I'll go away completely is if colin (or other mods) and their friends choose to banish me again. if I actually do start living at a monestary somewhere, more than likely I will still look at the posts here of the question askers. they won't object to that. but then again, after my website is finished, Jon might be out of a job. but that's highly unlikely. and by the way, I'm not paranoid. it's a valid complaint, and it's not a freakin faulty phone. it just so happens that I made this comment today, while talking to a nurse at mercy hospital on the phone, right after 10 rapid clicks in succession happened, and after I warned her that my voice could cutout:
did you hear all that? that's what I hear on every phone call and it's starting to cause problems in interviews. whoever the idiots are that are listening, wouldn't you think they'd have anything better to do with their time than listen to someone's phone calls that's trying to do so some god damn good in this stupid world?
and she agreed with me. and, coincidentally or not, I've made 6 phone calls since that one and I've not heard a single click or beep. perhaps I won the game?

Dreamweaver

Local time
Love the ending lmao

Dreamweaver

Local time
@vba_php I'm really happy there with one of my 9 grandchildren at the liverpool history museum
I'm not playing your game I haven't blocked anybody in all the years I've been here but you will now be my first.

EDIT by moderator
Mick's comments above are in response to a post that has been deleted for the comments made. The author has also received a temporary ban.

Darrell

Registered User.
Local time
Sigh... I was looking forward to a discussion on this topic as I've just finished reading this series for the 5th (?) time and am in the middle of Robots and Empire right now. Shame

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Darrell, you just ignore the noise level. Call it background with a higher level of static than normal. This isn't a wide-open chat area so our site owner dislikes the nuclear option. But I strongly suspect that our "friend" will find a way to insert himself into this conversation again whether we like it or not. His level of narcissism and attention-deficit disorder won't let him stay away.

I have to admit it has been years since I read the twin trilogies. Hurricane Katrina destroyed the particle-board bookcase in which I kept some of my sci-fi collection - including my Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke, Anderson, and quite a few more. So my memory might be a little distorted by time. But I think I remember enough to at least be conversant with the major story line.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Richard,

If you see this, I have an update on my phone.... => I finally went into my cell carrier and had them attempt to clear the interference on the phone line but that did not help. and after that I finally ended up calling samsung and requesting a warranty claim on the phone to get it replaced. the tech leads in nashville are convinced that the screen sensors on the phone are bad based on the fact that the clicks and beeps results in numbers appearing above the keypad on that screen just like I was dialing a phone number. So that's the current attempt to stop things. more than likely, no one was listening to the calls and no hacker was attached to it. I'm not taking that possibility off the table though. I still think the US government will lie about anything and everything they are doing because they can't the general public about what they really doing.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Getting back on theme,

and brilliant for me to know that one of the world's top geniuses, the man who will single-handedly solve the climate crisis, got his inspiration from Asimov Foundation series:-

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom