Is Bernie Sanders Persona Real? (1 Viewer)

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 10:52
How do you propose that be accomplished?

I agree executive compensation is excessive. I would even go as far as to say that they are using their management power to "steal" from the company. Technically, it is the board of directors who should be controlling executive pay, but they aren't. They are, unfortunately, in-on-the-game. From the free-market perspective, the board of directors is the appropriate body to set executive pay. (Shareholders have a responsibility too, as they elect the board of directors) Are you suggesting that the government manage executive pay?

PS: What about private companies? Do you believe the government should define what pay the owner gets?
I'm not about to try to write legislation here with all of its complexities, but as a general starting point, there needs to be a cap and a ratio to worker pay makes sense. Whether or not there needs to be different levels, exemptions, etc, I'll have to defer on. Access development has flared up my carpal tunnel.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 11:52
I'm not about to try to write legislation here with all of its complexities, but as a general starting point, there needs to be a cap and a ratio to worker pay makes sense. Whether or not there needs to be different levels, exemptions, etc, I'll have to defer on. Access development has flared up my carpal tunnel.
Not asking about legislation, but for a very broad approach to how excessive executive compensation can be reduced. The fact that you used the word "legislation" means that you believe that the government should intervene in setting what an executive should be paid.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There is the issue that we can't face easily - free market vs. legislated business elements. I believe it was in or about the Nixon era that for a brief time, price controls were established. Tanked the economy.

Adam, different topic... when zeroaccess complained of "carpal tunnel" issues, do you really not know what that is?

It's a form of typist's arthritis. The bones in your hand are the carpals. (In feet, it's the tarsals.) "Carpal tunnel syndrome" is an inflammation of the tendons in the hand that flex your fingers when you type. If you have bad typing habits then it hits you bad. Fortunately, keyboard musicians who learned at a young age learned now to keep their hands in a good position to avoid that kind of stress.

In severe cases it leads to calcium deposits in the carpal tendons which is only cured by a surgery to scrape the tendons to remove the deposits without breaking the tendons. My mother had that bad enough that she needed wrist surgery. Now it is done using arthroscopic methods, but back then (1960s) you ended up with scars that looked like you had tried to kill yourself by slitting your wrists.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Adam - Please do NOT cut an paste in a manner that distorts what I said. Your post implies that I am for the government setting executive wages. That is a total distortion. You seem to have a propensity for misstating what I and others have written. I was responding to a post by zeroaccess. See what I fully wrote below. The word "you" which you left out in citing me refers to zeroaccess. Before responding, check to verify if you understood what the writer wrote.
Not asking about legislation, but for a very broad approach to how excessive executive compensation can be reduced. The fact that you used the word "legislation" means that you believe that the government should intervene in setting what an executive should be paid.

PS: Your intervention in the post by Elena ("Exercices to practice relationship") was unproductive, impolite, and uncalled for.

Last edited:

zeroaccess

Local time
Actually no, using the word legislation does not state what I believe. It simply means to answer your question properly would require a very lengthy and well-thought-out message. Probably more than I can deliver right now. On Android voice to text now; what a great invention, by the way.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Actually no, using the word legislation does not state what I believe. It simply means to answer your question properly would require a very lengthy and well-thought-out message. Probably more than I can deliver right now. On Android voice to text now; what a great invention, by the way.
Point taken. I don't have an in-depth solution either beyond the obvious superficial platitudes.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Depressed labor wages:
--Unfettered illegal immigration hurts the poorest people. It also makes a class of people with less rights than citizens which is very bad for everyone. Look at what happened to the wage in the meat packing industry when they switched to using mostly illegal aliens as labor. This is of course illegal but both the Democrats and Republicans for their own perverted purposes continue to write laws that they actively don't want the Executive branch to enforce. Trump has tried to undo some of Obama's executive orders by not renewing them and he keeps getting taken to court because he didn't renew the illegal executive order that circumvented actual law????
--Exporting manufacturing hurts the poorest people and it decimates areas that loose the jobs. Not only the employees of the outsourced company but all the retail, the tax base, etc. We can't stop companies from offshoring production but we can certainly make it more expensive for them by eliminating their tax breaks. The companies should loose their American "citizenship" as well and be treated for tax and regulation purposes as foreign companies. Giving companies tax breaks for moving their operations offshore simply boggles the mind.
--Importing cheap foreign workers on the h1b visa program hurts the high paid American workers they displace. I have friends who were victims of this the day 8 busloads of Indian programmers arrived and the entire IT department was ushered into the auditorium where they were told to train their replacements or get NO severance package. The h1b law specifically prohibits replacing American workers with imported workers who are always paid much less. However, the loophole is that the company doesn't technically employ the visa holders. They "outsource" to another company who employs the visa holders and they never hire American workers (too expensive) so they can't be accused of replacing them. Disney is the last big company that made the news when they did this a few years ago but there are lots of them.

Executive pay:
Government can't tell companies what they should pay their executives but they can add some rationality by not allowing wages, benefits, bonus' above a certain level to be deductions from earnings. So, pick a number 40 or 50 is probably reasonable. Any executive remuneration that exceeds 50 times the pay for the lowest paid worker, cannot be deducted as a business expense. So if your lowest paid worker earns $20,000 per year, your highest earns a million. Companies can pay what ever they want. They just can't deduct it as an expense beyond the 50 times the low wage number.

Last edited:

zeroaccess

Local time
Depressed labor wages:
--Unfettered illegal immigration hurts the poorest people. It also makes a class of people with less rights than citizens which is very bad for everyone. Look at what happened to the wage in the meat packing industry when they switched to using mostly illegal aliens as labor. This is of course illegal but both the Democrats and Republicans for their own perverted purposes continue to write laws that they actively don't want the Executive branch to enforce. Trump has tried to undo some of Obama's executive orders by not renewing them and he keeps getting taken to court because he didn't renew the illegal executive order that circumvented actual law????
Just some quick replies. Does Immigration Reduce Wages?
--Exporting manufacturing hurts the poorest people and it decimates areas that loose the jobs. Not only the employees of the outsourced company but all the retail, the tax base, etc. We can't stop companies from offshoring production but we can certainly make it more expensive for them by eliminating their tax breaks. The companies should loose their American "citizenship" as well and be treated for tax and regulation purposes as foreign companies. Giving companies tax breaks for moving their operations offshore simply boggles the mind.
No disagreement here - I am very aware of the effects of both moving jobs overseas and trying to tax/tariff the import of materials to make products here.
--Importing cheap foreign workers on the h1b visa program hurts the high paid American workers they displace. I have friends who were victims of this the day 8 busloads of Indian programmers arrived and the entire IT department was ushered into the auditorium where they were told to train their replacements or get NO severance package. The h1b law specifically prohibits replacing American workers with imported workers who are always paid much less. However, the loophole is that the company doesn't technically employ the visa holders. They "outsource" to another company who employs the visa holders and they never hire American workers (too expensive) so they can't be accused of replacing them. Disney is the last big company that made the news when they did this a few years ago but there are lots of them.
Without getting too deep into what I do, let's just say that many of those H1B cases pass through my hands. Most software engineers hired through this route are not paid much less than $100k / year (most are in the $80-120k range, and some are much higher), not including other incentives and benefits. I'm not sure how that compares to the salaries of U.S. Citizens doing the same work, and I'm not discounting your specific example, but I will say that companies that take this route generally don't do so to "save money". They do it because they can't hire enough native workers. We just don't produce enough graduates in the field here.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:52
Another sector decimated by illegal immigrants is construction. 30 years ago construction was a multi ethic trade. You would see African Americans doing carpentry, dry walling and painting right along side Caucasian and Hispanics. Not any more, they say these are "jobs Americans wont do any more".

Illegals undercut the wages by generation to generation, last years illegals are being locked out because the new arrivals will work even cheaper. Soon the slogan we be "Mexicans wont do it either" lol.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A typical PC response to my comment regarding ILLEGAL immigration. Why is it you don't know the difference? More importantly, why is it that the main stream media doesn't know the difference? I never said that Immigration causes a problem. Immigration in an orderly fashion where the people have time to assimilate is never a problem. Here in the US, we take in more LEGAL immigrants every year than all the other countries of the world combined!!!!

Landscaping has also dropped into the only hire illegals classification of jobs. The vast majority of landscaping (except for work requiring an actual professional) was done in the past by high school and college students who were off from school for the summer. Some of my friends took jobs as painters. As kids, 14+, we were allowed to do farm work so we would show up at the local truck farm and be assigned to pick whatever they were picking that day. That was frequently hard work but we were all shorter then and more limber. My younger brother mowed lawns - with a push mower. Good thing the lawns in our neighborhood were small. Now that our children aren't required to work by their parents, we have to import people illegally to work for wages that kids were happy to get.

I have also been on the other end of the h1b visa issue. A few years ago one of the people assigned to my project went home to Pakistan and then was turned away at the border so he came in through Canada (don't ask). We needed to convince the PTB to renew his visa so I had to plaster the help wanted columns and sites for 50 + miles with requirements so specific that only Ozzie could satisfy them. The staff of one of my current client's is about 30% foreign born and I mentioned this in passing to the owner one day. His response, they work cheaper.

zeroaccess

Local time
A typical PC response to my comment regarding ILLEGAL immigration. Why is it you don't know the difference? More importantly, why is it that the main stream media doesn't know the difference?
Pat, the referenced research doesn't come from me or the "Mainstream Media". It is from the Cato Institute with a long list of references at the end. If you have beef with the research, I wouldn't be the one to field it.

Again, I'm not discounting your specific examples - but instead looking at it from a broader perspective.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, if all this thinking depresses you, leave. You know my complaint with you is the opposite of what you see here. You don't think enough. You put your mouth (... well, OK, your fingers) in gear before you put your brain in motion.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
by the way richard, i'm curious....how much chore work does your wife have you doing around the house every day? your visits and responses here are very intermittent throughout the day. I'm wondering if you go back and forth between the 2 passions....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom