Anybody familiar with Informatica? (1 Viewer)

redneckgeek

Local time
Today, 17:34
My company is rather large, and each "division" has their own system.
Some use Baan, some use Informix, and others have homegrown systems.
Everyone is happy with their system (except for the Baan users:D ), but the company wants them to be able to talk with one another. Rather than force everyone onto the same system, we're buying Informatica to help the systems communicate with one another.

I'm one of the people that gets to go offsite for training. Just curious if anyone here uses it, and what their opinion of it is. My company is infamous for buying the wrong thing for their needs.

Local time
Today, 16:34
My company is rather large, and each "division" has their own system.
Some use Baan, some use Informix, and others have homegrown systems.
Everyone is happy with their system (except for the Baan users:D ), but the company wants them to be able to talk with one another. Rather than force everyone onto the same system, we're buying Informatica to help the systems communicate with one another.

I'm one of the people that gets to go offsite for training. Just curious if anyone here uses it, and what their opinion of it is. My company is infamous for buying the wrong thing for their needs.

I managed a couple of people who ran our Informatica concerns at a large Telecom. The best is on my LinkedIn network. I think he's in the San Francisco area right now. I can hook you up with him if you want.

redneckgeek

Local time
That's allright George. I don't really want to bother anybody. It's not like I'm involved in the business decision. I'm just curious about it.
Thanks

Local time
Today, 16:34
My opinion, based on my exposure as a manager of the resources who developed/maintained with it is that your last statement in the OP is accurate: companies buy the wrong things.

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:34
Everyone is happy with their system (except for the Baan users:D )

Curious, what is the issue with your Baan system?

redneckgeek

Local time
Everyone is happy with their system (except for the Baan users:D )

Curious, what is the issue with your Baan system?

Too generic. Not a real good fit for manufacturing (at least not for batch process). NOTHING is intuitive - especially table names.

They were talking about moving my division to BAAN a few years ago.
I went through about 2 weeks training, and realized it wouldn't meet our needs at all for production planning. We stuck with our homegrown system.

I'm one of the few "power users" in my division, and I found it confusing to the point of being useless. I kept imagining what was going to happen when we unleashed it on Customer Service and Transportation.:D

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 22:34
They were talking about moving my division to BAAN a few years ago.

I thought Baan was taken over and as such doesn't exist anymore ?

I'm one of the few "power users" in my division...................

Funny, with my former employer we were using SAP and those with a little more knowledge than others were called power users :rolleyes:

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:34
I thought Baan was taken over and as such doesn't exist anymore ?

Funny, with my former employer we were using SAP and those with a little more knowledge than others were called power users :rolleyes:

Baan now owned by Infor, but is still 'supported' although not as well as before.

redneckgeek

Local time

That's my company's definition, too. Anybody that has the aptitude that Excel can do more than just SUM is considered to be a power user.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom