Recent content by Dumferling

  1. D

    Split database slow when developing

    Thanks for this. I was thinking of something like this although I hadn't thought to check it against the network BE before releasing. I like the idea of moving it through a stage or two. The detailed notes on the BE are the bit I was hoping to avoid but if thats what it takes, thats what it...
  2. D

    Split database slow when developing

    I do that on a regular basis to both BE and FE so sadly that will not change my development speed although it does keep my file size down and minimise the occasional code problem in production.
  3. D

    Split database slow when developing

    Thanks. My executive is well aware of what I am doing but he is also the CFO so saving money.... When I have it stabilised and it does what I think it can, then I will probably push for funding and get it formalised. Hopefully I avoid the arrows!
  4. D

    Split database slow when developing

    It is not actually a law firm. I work for a large insurer. If I waited for IT support to design and do what I wanted, I would be retired. So I did it myself. So, yes, it really is outside of IT support. I backup every morning to two different locations, both BE and FE. I have yet to lose any...
  5. D

    Split database slow when developing

    OK. Context. I am not a professional programmer. I am actually the head of a legal department and we use Access to handle legal data - contract records, product records, IP records. We don't store documents only links to documents. I do all the development work and everything is self taught -...
  6. D

    Split database slow when developing

    I have a spit database FE on computers/ BE on shared server. The compiled version works at about the speed I would expect it to but when I am adding features to the FE (which also sometimes means I edit the BE and add new tables or fields) the FE is incredibly slow - opening forms, queries...
  7. D

    Solved Seek issue

    Thanks all. I though DLookup/DCount would be slower but quite possibly the Seek function is not working because it is a linked table, as suggested. There won't be thousands of records, more like a few hundred so I will use DLookup/ DCount. Thanks for the help
  8. D

    Solved Seek issue

    I am trying to get the database to check if a record exists. I am using Seek to do this where the code will pick up the record number from the primary table and search on the related table for that index number (IDContract). The code is: Dim db As DAO.Database Dim rst As DAO.Recordset Dim...
  9. D

    Multiple Reports

    The problem is that most reports need filters at the time of viewing so printing is easy but having to select criteria makes it a bit more complex. I am looking at partially using Allen Browne's Search Criteria coding, combined with the idea of listing the criteria that are needed to produce a...
  10. D

    Multiple Reports

    This gives me some good ideas. I sort of was working along some of these lines but I can see from this that I can make it better. Thanks
  11. D

    Multiple Reports

    I am working on a database where we are going to have to have a great many reports - at least a few hundred. I can see a looming issue as more reports are developed as to how to handle the criteria selection and generate the report - most reports will have different criteria and will look...
  12. D

    Solved WhereCondition produces blank form

    I changed that back as suggested. I had it like that originally and then tried different syntax in case I was making a mistake. ID is numeric and it works smoothly now. Thanks
  13. D

    Solved WhereCondition produces blank form

    Ah. I knew it would be something incredibly simple and stupid. DataEntry was set to Yes. Problem solved. Thanks
  14. D

    Solved WhereCondition produces blank form

    This should work but it produces a blank form and I just can't see why. I am opening a popup form with additional information by clicking on a CommandButton. The OpenForm line looks like this: DoCmd.OpenForm "frmCOutsourcing", , , WhereCondition:="ContractID = '" & Forms!frmCContractBrowser!ID &...
  15. D

    Replace () truncates a string

    I am using the Replace() function to replace a placeholder in the body of an html email. The function works absolutely fine except that it is truncating the string. The string is a text based URL to a file location on a network folder and the string picks up the URL fine but when the Replace...
Top Bottom