Solved Checking if a certain unique record exists using DCount (1 Viewer)

theferd

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:53
I am having difficulties creating a line to determine if a certain record exists within a table. I have a form where a user put in numbers in four different text boxes and those will be stored in the table. And before they are inserted I wish to check if it already exists.

From my understanding the line would start as:
exist = DCount("[Field1] + [Field2] + [Field3] + [Field4]", "tblcatalog", "[Field1] = '" & me.txt1 & "' ....

And this is where I struggled to find the correct way to construct this line. The usual error I get is a data mismatch even though every input is a number. If there is perhaps a better function to use to accomplish the same thing I would be open to this

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:53
If the fields are numeric, your syntax is wrong, there should be no single quotes. More like

exist = DCount("*", "tblcatalog", "[Field1] = " & me.txt1 & " AND Field2 = "...

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
If you have four fields and the combination of those 4 fields is unique, simply make a composite unique index. You will not be able to enter a duplicate record having the same 4 field values.

theferd

Registered User.
Local time
I did make the four fields a composite primary key, but was concerned about how the error would produce itself while a user was on the form. Is there a certain line I'll have to introduce to exit the sub such that the VBA module doesn't open? Or if it is just a message box that appears, a way to customize the text?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'd use the index but I'd still test. I doubt the error you'll get is very descriptive for users, plus it doesn't get triggered until they try to save the record. Sometimes that's annoying if they've entered a bunch of other stuff.

theferd

Registered User.
Local time
exist = DCount("[Field1] + [Field2] + [Field3] + [Field4]", "tblcatalog", "[Field1] = " & Me.txt1 & " AND [Field2] = " & Me.txt2 & " AND [Field3] = " & Me.txt3 & " AND [Field4] = " & Me.txt4 & "")

Returns a missing operator in the final part of the expression. Is there something I'm missing?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't see a syntax error right off, but I'd just use the * in the first argument, as I showed. The & "" at the end is also superfluous, but probably isn't causing an error.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:53
Check whether any of the Fieldn elements is null. Sometimes nulls can mess up your logic pretty badly. You can also save some typing.

Code:
exist = DCount ("*", "tblcatalog", "[Field1] = " & Me.txt1 & " AND [Field2] = " & Me.txt2 & " AND [Field3] = " & Me.txt3 & " AND [Field4] = " & Me.txt4 & "")

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Maybe time to post a copy of the database - zip format and remove anything personal first.
We don't need all your data --just enough to highlight the issue.

theferd

Registered User.
Local time
I rewrote the entire on click event and added invisible text boxes to validate each value at each criteria and somehow that ended up fixing the data mismatch/syntax errors. I really have no clue as to why it is working now, but the line itself is not any different from what Doc Man gave.
Sorry I cant really explain why its working now but thanks all for your help

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Glad you have it resolved --even if not fully understood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom