The Slightly Obscure Music Discussion And Quizzy Thread (1 Viewer)

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:55
I got it. Should I let someone else win the race?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:55
Up to you, I suppose. It is, after all, a real groaner.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Well, if I held back it would only be to give NG a shot but he hasn't been lurking in this thread much lately. Hopefully I will spell it correctly from memory:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:55
Yep. You got it. The clues are, of course Super(man), Cali(fornia), Fragile, A Stick, X-Pie, Alli(gator), Doe, and Schuss (German for skiing.)

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
The skiing thing I didn't get but I figured with 7 out of 8 I couldn't lose. Will pick this up tm - it's an hour later for me than it is for you.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
This is a band name clue. Started in 1969; not a favourite of the critics but had commercial success. First album went gold. Sold out Shea stadium in 72 hours whereas Beatles took weeks to do the same. I think I've said and shown too much already....

unnamed.jpg

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:55
Chicago (Transit Authority)?

EDIT (atter a quick Google search): Grand Funk Railroad

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Good guess, but no.

EDIT - DANG!! Like the girls have always maintained, I am too easy.
One loco for each band member. I've seen vids where Mark Farner is still touring as GFR.
I have the live album and used to play most of the guitar for Heartbreaker - wasn't so good at the solo parts when I was 16

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Although I'd heard of GFR, I honestly can't remember anything by them.. sorry but the clip wasn't to my taste

Anyeway, apologies I forgot to post a follow up. Here you go ...

1591135703875.png

That a very straightforward clue to the song. Title and artist please

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Or Bird on a Wire - Joe Cocker.
Well Colin; it was only one of a number of things I could have picked that would span quite a variation in style but there was some nostalgia there.

Darrell

Registered User.
Local time
Well Colin; it was only one of a number of things I could have picked that would span quite a variation in style but there was some nostalgia there.

Although I kind of agree that it wasn't exactly to my taste either - I think it's great to hear all these different kinds of songs and to try to see what others find in them.

Except for Mary Poppins tunes maybe.. I'm still scarred from doing backing vocals for a local production of that show. 6 months of rehearsals and a 3 week run took it's toll on my ability to ever hear it again 😂

Anyway, this may need some googling as I don't really know how well this is known, but I've tried to make it very low on the cryptic scale.
Band name, then Song please

0303201.PNG
0303202.PNG
0303203.PNG

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@Darrell
Based on past experience, your clues are NEVER straightforward

@Micron
Just heard Joe Cocker's cover of BOTW for the first time. As always his interpretation is very soulful/emotional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom