What ever happened to Courtesy & Good Humour? (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:21
Speaking of getting thanks for something, ...

When I was in grad school, I had a requirement to demonstrate knowledge of computer programming languages, to be certified by the Computer Sciences Dept. The folks there knew me and knew I could pass, but they said that the university required that I either take a course or take a challenge in the form of a project. So I wrote a bunch of subroutines that acted as a mid-level driver for plotter operations and that could be called from FORTRAN, ALGOL, or BASIC on a PDP-10a processor (a.k.a. KA-10). The program was SPLOT and it was used to make scientific charts on their large plotter. It did linear and logarithmic plots in X-Y style or in radial style. It also supported an extended plotter character set for plotting shapes on the charts if you were plotting more than one set of data on the same chart. It also handled lettering in multiple font sizes and a couple of different fonts. I worked my way through mapping out the pen up/down and move left/right/up/down for a total of five special character sets including Greek, Hebrew, Cyrillic, Roman (with serifs), and the special symbols. That made six because they had the Arial (sans serif) font already. I passed the challenge and handed in the project.

Perhaps 15 years later, I was on an interview at the New Orleans VA Center because they were hiring folks with knowledge of Digital Equipment Corp.s
VAX product line. I interviewed with several guys in the office. It turned out we know some people in common. One fellow said he had taken some computer science courses from UNO, which was where I was in grad school, but long after I left. He asked me about that and my SPLOT program camp up in discussion. To my absolute astonishment, he said he had used it and that he loved it because of the great graphs and charts he had been able to generate with it, and that his Master's Thesis in Engineering used several such plots. He revealed to me that my code had been used for at least 12 years after I left, and he didn't know if it was still in use after HE left. But that was an out-of-the-blue thank you that meant a lot.

I turned down the job because it was a lower salary than I was already making, but based on his having used my code and liking it, I could have had the job if I had wanted it.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:21
In my experience working for the government for so many years. Most of the clients I have dealt with appreciate the effort I have made for them. Sometimes I make mistakes (and some pretty big ones). Sometimes the clients are forgiving, sometimes they are now.

ontopofmalvern

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:21
This forum has been ace for me, the regular contributors give good understandable advice and have helped me greatly either in response to my idiotic posts or through finding someone else with the same problem. Just in case I haven't done so before Thankyou to you all, my school has a better database because of you.

deletedT

Local time
Once my privilege to give thanks was taken because I had used the button more than was allowed (daily). 😁
The button was hidden for me for 3 days. (In previous software)

The first question for me was why the count of thanks is limited and why it’s been watched over.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:21
Once my privilege to give thanks was taken because I had used the button more than was allowed (daily). 😁
The button was hidden for me for 3 days. (In previous software)

The first question for me was why the count of thanks is limited and why it’s been watched over.
Could be because of "the Mad Thanker" Someone who had liked over 800 posts in one morning.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
"The Mad Thanker...." That phrase always brings a smile to my face. :LOL:

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Did this thread have something to do with getting thanked?

Dreamweaver

Local time
I think it started as a general thing but seems to have a life of it's own lol

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
That question meant "did you get thanked because the guilty party read your thread" which isn't something I'd expect you to know? :unsure:

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Did this thread have something to do with getting thanked?
Funny, I read that statement the same way as Issac and Mick. We are too used to YKW twisting threads in different directions and off topic.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
It took another read of what I posted before I understood the other interpretation! Maybe if I had said
"Did this thread have anything to do with you being thanked" ?

Please don't even think of me as being in the same boat as YKW! 🤢

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:21
If you have been around long enough, you know that he wasn't one of a kind. Fortunately, he WAS a rare bird. But not unique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom