Picture Ole Server error (1 Viewer)

jocph

Local time
Today, 07:36
Our database has a table with ole object field. Stored in this field are photos of employees. Users insert the photos by copying in Word or Excel and pasting in a bound control on a form. This used to work fine. When we upgraded to Windows 10, photos cannot be inserted anymore using the form. No error, it just would not save the pasted photo in the control. Would not even move to another control unless the pasting is cancelled by pressing esc.

Investigating, I tried pasting directly to the table. It still would not save. In the attached image, you can see the table view of two fields. In the photo field are the embedded photos of previous records.

1595248496493.png

When viewed in the form, the photos appear fine. But if I try to view the embedded photo from the table view, I get this error:

1595248602195.png

Luckily we still have one machine with Windows 7. There is no problem when we use that to run the database program.

How can I fix this in Windows 10?

I changed the default app to use MS Paint and Windows Photo Viewer for image files but the problem persists.

jocph

Local time
Since it is more advisable to store image files to disk and only store the file locations in the table, I am now trying to extract the pictures from the tables and convert the field to text with links to the extracted pictures. I tried OleToDisk by Leban (http://www.lebans.com/oletodisk.htm) but cannot get it to work. I have converted the delarations to 64bit but it cannot find the accompanying dll file, even though I copied the dll file to windows\system32 and it is also located in the database program's folder.

We have 64-bit Office 365 and Windows 10 machines. Does anybody know of similar procedures I can use?

Thanks a lot!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:36
Was the OLE information originally stored in a 32-bit version of Access? Your trials and tribulations with 64-bit Access not recognizing that .DLL file suggest a bitness issue. I'm not 100% sure but the OLE viewing facility will probably also be affected by a switch from 32 bit to 64 bit versions.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 16:36
Can you try some version of the save-to-disk routine on your Win 7 pc where they still work?

jocph

Local time
Hi The_Doc_Man and Isaac!

The database app was developed as 64bit from the start. The problem started to appear when our machines were upgraded to windows 10. It seems there is no ole server for picture type because other document types are not affected (excel, word, pdf, bitmap).

I may just have to use our last remaining windows 7 machine to export the embedded images to files, as Isaac is suggesting.

Thank you for the replies!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 00:36
There are several utilities on that page at Stephen Lebans' site. I haven't tried any as I never use OLE.
Although his utilities are usually excellent, many are difficult to convert to 64-bit.
You didn't state what the DLL file is. It may not work in 64-bit. Did you register the file when you installed it?

jocph

Local time
Hi isladogs! Along with the mdb, the dll file was included in the compressed file that was downloaded. I'll try to find a machine with 32bit Office and Windows 7 to match the environment it was created. That may be the best thing I can do for now.

This is the zip file content:
1595425806857.png

This is the error:
1595425891773.png

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Do remember that the utilities on Stephens’ site are around 20 years old. My suspicion is that the DLL file only works in 32-bit systems. I did ask whether you had registered the file using regsvr but you didn’t respond to that point

EDIT
Just re-read the error message
The title bar refers to StrStorage.dll which I used many years ago but the message itself refers to SSGetContents.dll.
In case you need StrStorage.dll, I have attached it (zipped)

Attachments

• StrStorage.zip
    41.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

jocph

Local time
Thank you isladogs for the dll. I tried registering the dll file but getting an error (fig. below). It might be for 32bit systems and would take some effort to run in 64bit systems. That would be beyond my capacity right now. Would try to run Leban's db in a 32bit system once I have the time. It is not that urgent since we can still use one Windows 7 machine to embed pictures in our database. I'll post an update when I make the attempt.

1595504646306.png

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi
That doesn't surprise me as I originally got that dll from the Lebans site many years ago to work with PDF files from Access.
I no longer use it as the feature is now built into Access

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom