Thank you and au revoir (1 Viewer)

SurreyNick

Local time
Today, 21:42
I'd like to thank AWF and its members for helping me create the database I was working on. The task is complete. Well, at least I think it is. I have done what testing I can and I think I've addressed all the glitches and bugs, so now I'll just have to see what happens when it's in use.

What started as a simple task for my son... "Oh, I just need something to replace a spreadsheet"... grew into a significantly larger undertaking and I was well out of my depth. But tapping into the wealth of information on this forum and mining the rich seam of knowledge of its members, plus a fair bit of RTFM myself I should add, I have succeeded in building the database and it appears to work and do everything my son originally wanted and far more to boot. So thank you. I certainly couldn't have done it without the help and support I got here and in particular (but not limited to) the following members:

@Pat Hartman @plog @theDBguy @MajP @Ranman256 @bob fitz @isladogs @Uncle Gizmo @zeroaccess @CJ_London @Galaxiom @bastanu

I don't know when, or if, I'll revisit AWF. But I am extremely grateful it exists.

Thank you and au revoir.

Nick

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:42
Hi Nick. Congratulations and good luck!

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@SurreyNick Wow, you tapped into some of the skills of the most experienced members here. I'm pleased your stint here was a fruitful one. Drop back anytime.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:42
It is very satisfying to help people to succeed. Once your son starts using the app, if he's a typical user, he'll want more so you'll be back to see us :giggle: All the best.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Some of the best on the forum. I imagine the database is gold.

SurreyNick

Local time
Yes, I have been most fortunate and I say without reservation that it made all the difference to what I was able to accomplish. Other than in the past creating one extremely simple and basic Access database this has been my first effort. I don’t know how it compares with others’ efforts but that’s not really the point anyway. My son likes it and it does what he wants and that’s good enough.

I hadn’t planned on posting pictures for fear of giving the impression I was fishing for approval or blowing my own trumpet, but, on reflection, I thought perhaps I should show those members who helped me what I was able to produce. I hope you feel your kindness wasn’t wasted.

I have attached six screen grabs, which is just a small sample of what the db contains. My son wanted the db to look a bit like an application so that’s what I have tried to do. The Main Menu is the principal navigation portal with links to all the active screens. All the small icons are control buttons. Clicking on one closes the Main Menu and opens the linked form. Each form also contains two or three navigation buttons to forms a user is most likely to proceed to and also a home button to return to the Main Menu. Every screen (form) also has context sensitive help. Anyhow, I’m sure you’ll get the idea.

There is potentially a phase two to this db. So, yes, @Pat Hartman, there is a possibility I’ll be back. There’s a whole heap of coding to be done to develop and produce the analytical screens, but my son currently isn’t sure if he needs them and that’s why they remain greyed out on the Main Menu. There are also a number of things I’d like to do for my own satisfaction, but we will see how the db works in practice and equally important, if it’s of any use. That’s the acid test.

Anyhow, to those who helped me along the way, I hope you like what you see and think your efforts were rewarded.

Nick.

Attachments

• MainMenu.jpg
    MainMenu.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 479
  • MigrateStudents.jpg
    MigrateStudents.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 470
  • EnterExamScores.jpg
    EnterExamScores.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 453
  • StuExamAchmnt.jpg
    StuExamAchmnt.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 456
  • ClassExamAchmnt.jpg
    ClassExamAchmnt.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 461
  • PrintReport.jpg
    PrintReport.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 468

SurreyNick

Local time
BTW. If I have posted this thread in the wrong section of the forum, Jon/Moderators do please feel free to move it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Wow, that looks amazing! If someone asked me, I would have said a pro developer created that. You could sell it as a commercial app! Excellent work!

SurreyNick

Local time
That's very kind of you to say Jon. Thank you. Praise indeed, and that praise belongs in a large part to the members of AWF.

Reactions: Jon

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You really have an excellent design eye. I would be very proud of that app from what I can see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom