Will Joe Biden be the next president? (1 Viewer)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:38
Don't kid yourself the FBI has been politicized since Hoover. Law enforcement is a political tool.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:38
Anyone gonna watch Borat on Friday? Rudy didn't know it was a movie.

• President Donald Trump's personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani appears in the forthcoming 'Borat Subsequent Moviefilm'
  • The Guardian reported Wednesday that Giuliani is interviewd by 'Borat's daughter' Tutar, who poses as a conservative news reporter
  • After she removes his mic, he is seen reclining on a bed and putting his hand down his pants, only to be interrupted by Cohen's Borat character
  • 'She's 15. She's too old for you,' the actor screams, waving the former New York City mayor off his 'daughter,' played by actress Maria Bakalova
  • The incident occurred in July and Giuliani had talked about it with The New York Post, telling Page Six that he had called the cops on the strange man

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:38
I'm thinking maybe our illusion that once upon a time, law enforcement wasn't selective was really always an illusion.
Which is exactly the point of the Black Lives Matter movement.

I don't blame them for calling down biased cops. Even if the cops don't actually realize that they are biased. I know that when I worked as a Navy contractor, I still had to think carefully about regulations whenever I did something. I had blanket authority to suggest changes, but had to go through certain hoops to implement them. (Had a good track record.)

When I tried to enforce the regulations on user access, I got in trouble because I was a contractor making decisions on a public-facing machine that was part of the Dept. of Defense. I eventually was able to get the problem resolved another way, but for a while I was in the impossible position of directing a government response to a government person's actions because that person had violated a regulation. It was even worse than that because the violator was a member of the team that oversaw the machine I was running. He broke regs all of the time and I couldn't tell him no. But I got the process flow changed so that a military person made the decision, not me, and the violator couldn't override the Navy chief on access issues. He eventually got slapped down enough that he understood my problem and apologized to me for the hard time he gave me.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:38
He might just be tucking his shirt into his trousers.

Edit: I did like the first Borat movie. Had no idea another one was coming.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Which is exactly the point of the Black Lives Matter movement.

I don't blame them for calling down biased cops.

Biased cops should not only be called down, they should be fired if they don't change their ways pretty quickly (jailed in the case of some). Of course, the police unions (which in most instances support Democrats) prevent that, or at least make it difficult.

I don't agree when protestors are calling down all cops. During the Floyd protests here, which turned into a riot, I saw people screaming at the cops, calling them filthy names, and throwing things at them. Frankly I was impressed with the cops' restraint. We haven't had any Floyd type incidents here that I know of, so why are they screaming at cops who've done nothing?

The riots are counter-productive to the stated objectives, in my opinion. It makes one wonder what the true objective is.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I always worry when the mobs make noises about "justice" whether they are really seeking vengeance?

The problem with mob psychology is that it is like a thundercloud forming under forces controlled by chaos theory. All it takes is just a little push to become truly chaotic.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I don't blame them for calling down biased cops. Even if the cops don't actually realize that they are biased
Biased cops should not only be called down, they should be fired if they don't change their ways pretty quickly (jailed in the case of some). Of course, the police unions (which in most instances support Democrats) prevent that, or at least make it difficult.

I don't agree when protestors are calling down all cops

Yeah ... I think that is where it gets tricky. Murdering someone in cold blood for no reason isn't tricky, but that's not the real thing that's at issue. As usual, the thing at issue is all the gray areas. I would say that any time a police officer does something illegal to someone, obviously they need to answer for it via the criminal justice system--no doubt. The problem is people have widely differing opinions on the gray areas. By gray areas, I mean things like:

- if one race has their neighborhoods patrolled in a slightly different 'way' than another neighborhood (which happens to also be inhabited by another race), and if the difference is based on actual fact/experience....is that a "wrong" of some kind? Or is it just common sense?
- if someone describes a suspect as "a certain race and wearing a blue shirt", is a cop detaining the next person of that race with a blue shirt that he sees, a "wrong" of some kind? Or is it just common sense? (right now even those "events" have made CNN headlines)
- if some races' police encounters turn into violence at a higher % than another races' police encounters, AND, we all know that we haven't figured out yet how to gather any "data" to represent how the suspect behaved that might have warranted said violence .... then does that represent a "wrong"? Or is the correct answer: "We'd need more information" ? Especially in light of the obvious fact that how police react is usually impacted by how the detainee behaved and communicated
- how about drug task forces that focus on notorious street corners and parks. what if, according to experience, when police observe, say, 5 different specific behaviors that tend to indicate a drug sale, + there is a race factor, and one race they end up being right 8/10 times, and the other race predicts correctly 2/10 times, are police prohibited from using that knowledge?
- if a cop has made 1000 traffic stops, and one race has assaulted them 6 times, another race 35 times, we already know that their brain is not going to just refuse to commit that to memory, it's going to conjure that reality back up when it computes what precautions make sense. Is that always 100% wrong? Why? If so, is it realistic to tell someone who's making a calculation to save their life that they must exclude any previous knowledge about race & behavior? How would you even accomplish that?

Edit...Yes Doc Man.
And let's be honest, a big part of these riots has nothing whatsoever to do with justice, other than the justice they're hoping to avoid answering to for destroying property and terrifying and hurting those around them. It is just people who hope that something beneficial will come to them in some way through raising h*ll. Heck, many of the incidents they now riot over have nothing even to do with race in the first place.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
An eloquent article, Paul. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks Doc. If anyone wants more of his columns:

I like his style. Despite being a professor, his writing is simple and logical, not overly academic.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
@pbaldy
I often read something somebody wrote who's much better than I at trying to put my own thoughts to paper - that article was a great example. :)
Thanks

In an ideal utopia, we could somehow fully utilize experience & knowledge to make the judgments that were needed or beneficial, without anybody feeling that they suffered "extra" in the world through no fault of their individual self, both at the same time.

I am quite unsure what the reasonable solution is. All I know is that most of the energy right now is focused on achieving the 2nd, exclusively--and even that, only narrowly applied.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Here is Rudy's response, where is Hunter's? Cue the crickets.

1603321588931.png

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 04:38
Something that appears to be consistently overlooked, concerning asserted police abuse; that is the "response" of the person being arrested. The persons being arrested also have a responsibility to behave responsibly and not escalate the situation. The inappropriate actions of those being arrested need to also be publicly examined and reported on.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I often read something somebody wrote who's much better than I at trying to put my own thoughts to paper

That happens to me ALL THE TIME! I feel like I have well-thought-out beliefs, but often struggle to put them into words.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Something that appears to be consistently overlooked, concerning asserted police abuse; that is the "response" of the person being arrested. The persons being arrested also have a responsibility to behave responsibly and not escalate the situation. The inappropriate actions of those being arrested need to also be publicly examined and reported on.
Absolutely. That's what I was trying to articulate in 649.
The meaningless of gathering data that says: Every time people from groupB come in contact with authority there ends up being more chaos than when groupC comes in contact.........without anyone having any idea what the people from groupB are actually doing!

Just useless, incendiary information.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time

Very true. I remember the Rodney King incident. Often forgotten was the high-speed chase he led officers on prior to being cornered. Does that excuse their subsequent actions? Absolutely not. Does it perhaps explain them a little? Maybe. I've just been chasing somebody at speeds exceeding 100mph. Once cornered, do I assume they're going to say "okay, you got me", or do I assume for my own protection that they might be armed and intending to fight their way out? If I remember right he also rushed at an officer at one point. I'm guessing a cop gets pretty amped up during that time. They're operating on pure adrenaline at that point. An excuse? No, they should be trained to overcome that and apply only enough force to subdue the person.

My long-winded and poorly-made point is that it wasn't just a bunch of white cops beating up a black man for the heck of it. It was a bad situation that got out of control, and may not even have been racially motivated. It could be that anyone in that car who acted in the same way would have gotten the same result. We'll obviously never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom