Problems linking backend data on a shared drive, mapped drive has different pathways for different users (1 Viewer)

Db-why-not

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:43
I have a front end and backend database with userid and logins. I have the backend tables saved on the network shared drive. I have a front end version that will connect to the backend.

The pathway to the shared folders is different for different users. When I link the backend files to front end, it works for me but then the the backend wont work for other users because it doesn't recognize the pathway

My pathway to SOP folder: Example G:\adfg\SGA\3)transition\sop

coworkers pathway to SOP folder G:\SGA\3)transition\sop

They get an error message about the file pathway not being correct. The file pathway is correct for myself but not for my coworkers.

My coworkers are able to access the same SOP folder as me, they have permission.

How do I fix the pathway for my coworkers? I know that I can make multiple front ends with the proper pathways linking the backend. I don't have that pathway on my computer to link the backend to "G:\SGA\3)transition\sop".

There is also the issue with my login and password. In order for you to change how the backend data is linked you have to login to the database with userid and password and then you can modify the links. Once Someone changes the links to this pathway G:\SGA\3)transition\sop I will no longer be able to login to that frontend version.

Just trying to figure out the best solution to this. I already converted this db to a accde file. I could use my masterfile, remove the login page and have my coworkers fix the linked backends, then add the login form back to the file and reconvert it back to a Accde file. I was hoping there was an easier solution to this issue? I don't want to have my coworkers to have to link the backend data. I should be the only one having to do that. IF there is any updates I will have to do this all over again.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:43
Most of us use UNC paths to link:

\\ServerName\FolderName\FileName

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:43
UNC paths or "check" for the different options on startup of the front end and relink your tables.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 02:43
Just adding a +1 to the practice of not using mapped drives in the first place, refer to the UNC.
If there is any confusion on this, go to your My Computer or This PC (Network) and note the full path for the mapped drives. Use that and never again the mapped ones. Unless a special case calls for it, which is usually only if you need to map a drive on the fly using credentials.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:43
Yep, I had to use UNC pathing for my linked tables because in the Navy Enterprise Data Center, we had up to 80 projects going at one time or another and even if only half of them needed a specific drive-letter for security reasons, that was 40 drive letters - but we only had 26 and several of them were taken at the low end. Using UNC mapping made it easy to work without bothering to deal with a morass of mapping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom