Using Totals (1 Viewer)

tmyers

Local time
Today, 12:11
Is it possible to use the Totals function built into Access on a calculated field/control? When I tried it, my only option was Count. I am hoping I can use it for a quick and dirty way to show a running total off a field that is multiplying cost times quantity (and a few other things). The form itself is in datasheet view.

Capture.PNG

Extended Unit is cost plus other adders such as freight and "Total" is that multiplied by quantity.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:11
If you wanted a total and what you showed us comes from an actual named query, you could get the sum via an independent control using DSum of that field in that same query. I've not tried that feature that you are using so I would have to research it a bit. Note that if the query exists only the recordsource of what we are seeing, DSum won't work because it DOES require its domain to be a named query. (Or table.)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:11
Hi. I haven't checked; but if it's not in the options, then probably not. I don't know if you can force the issue using code.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:11
sounds like your total column is actually text - have you used the format function and right justified the column?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
sounds like your total column is actually text - have you used the format function and right justified the column?
Okay, I got a chance to give it a try. I agree with @CJ_London, I was able to see all the options in my quick test.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you are using the Format() function, that might be what is making the column into a string. Use the form's format property to format without converting the data to a string.

tmyers

Local time
If you are using the Format() function, that might be what is making the column into a string. Use the form's format property to format without converting the data to a string.
Not quite following completely. Are you referring to this?
Capture.PNG

The actual expression behind this is:
=[Extended Unit]*[Quantity]
Extended Unit is a large if is null block expression:
Extended Unit: [Price]+IIf(IsNull([Freight]),0,[Freight])+(IIf(IsNull([LampPrice]),0,[LampPrice])*IIf(IsNull([NumberOfLamps]),0,[NumberOfLamps]))

If that isn't what you are referring to, then I am afraid that I lost you.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:11
perhaps use the nz function instead

Extended Unit: nz([Price],0)+nz([Freight],0)+nz([LampPrice],0)*nz([NumberOfLamps],0)

or wrap in the cCurr function

Extended Unit: cCurr(nz([Price],0)+nz([Freight],0)+nz([LampPrice],0)*nz([NumberOfLamps],0))

tmyers

Local time
Trying the cCurr comes up as undefined.
Edit:
Its cCur. One "r".

tmyers

Local time
I feel dumb now. While messing with that I realized the control was set improperly which is what was causing it.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I feel dumb now. While messing with that I realized the control was set improperly which is what was causing it.
Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom