Post-Covid: The Birth Of A New Society (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:12
And the removal of identity politics.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 14:12
I think the side-effects and ramifications would be better if we educated folks about biology, to include evolution, the true meaning(lessness) of race, the generally benign nature of vaccines, and the physiological causes of gender dysphoria, in hopes of wiping out certain very negative forces in this world. Those four topics are HUGE contributors to issues in societal troubles.
As long as your hypothetical education forum included voices that represented the actual diversity of opinions on the subjects, I wouldn't be against it.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 17:12
I have participated in 3 Zoom chats with workers and the bosses. The topic is returning to the workplace. Shock: NO ONE wants to come back to work.

You should HEAR some of these excuses. I have GOT to be on Candid Camera because real life (people) cannot be this stupid.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
I have participated in 3 Zoom chats with workers and the bosses. The topic is returning to the workplace. Shock: NO ONE wants to come back to work
Some organizations actually saw an increase in productivity of their staffs when they worked from home

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I have participated in 3 Zoom chats with workers and the bosses. The topic is returning to the workplace. Shock: NO ONE wants to come back to work.

You should HEAR some of these excuses. I have GOT to be on Candid Camera because real life (people) cannot be this stupid.
Almost like it's planned that way.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time

It's like covid voting. Now they got us used to instant drive thru voting, we feel like we'll die without it (or as the Democrats say, "Jim Crow" - boy that guy's legacy is popular vernacular these days, bet he never imagined he'd be invoked for daring to suggest people get off the couch and physically enter a building to vote!)

I love telecommute, been doing it in at least some %-of-the-week for ~8 years.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
love telecommute, been doing it in at least some %-of-the-week for ~8 years.
It does have it's advantages but some people, mostly new. have expressed how difficult it is to learn remotely. No one had an answer to this except "I don't feel safe being around people"

What a bunch of sheep.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I'm guessing those are the "I'm more of a visual person" types - difficulty following the written word.

Alas, that's near-100% of the younger generations.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I'm guessing those are the "I'm more of a visual person" types - difficulty following the written word.

Alas, that's near-100% of the younger generations.
Mostly new people learning how to use web-based apps. True, Teams Screen Share SHOULD be enough but if it isn't then accommodations should be made. It is obvious to the most casual observer these folks just don't want to come in. Lazy, lazy people.

One person even said that she has to be able to leave at a moments notice so that she could look after her mother. It is not the employer's job to provide a convenient work environment. I once had to explain to my daughter that business does not hire you so that you can earn money in comfort - they hire you so that YOU can earn money for THEM and that your comfort and compensation is a middle ground you come to an agreement on.

She got that attitude from her mother...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:12
As long as your hypothetical education forum included voices that represented the actual diversity of opinions on the subjects, I wouldn't be against it.

Where there is true science (i.e. researchable information, provable statements, demonstrable reality), there should not be a diversity of opinion.

On a social note, I wonder what the COVID generation will be like, since interpersonal skills have surely been hurt by the palpable pandemic paranoia. The "Me Too" and "BLM" and other movements that coincided with the pandemic will perhaps lead to lower birth rate and more unrest.

Unfortunately, the kind of job I had didn't lend itself to telecommuting since I had to be physically near the console of my assigned servers in order to do sys-admin functions. The consoles could not be accessed through ordinary networks, and I had to be near networks for classified machines, mostly SECRET, a few classed as SBU (Sensitive but Unclassified) that also had strict connection requirements.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
BrainWash.jpg

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Like it or not climate change and covid-19 will determine how we define work in the future.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:12
It's called change. 40 years ago, there was no PC on every desk and no internet. 150 years ago people didn't drive their car to work either as well as no traffic lights and parking inspectors.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Where there is true science (i.e. researchable information, provable statements, demonstrable reality), there should not be a diversity of opinion.
I agree to completely disagree with you on that.

There is usually room for doubt. If it were not true, science would not be continually revising its definitions to include corrections of things previously thought.
True science includes - indeed, begins and is founded on - skepticism and is always open to challenges.

This reminds me of a book I recently read about psychiatric disorders. So every few years they change the conditions, definitions and create new ones or "find out" something wasn't quite true about the old ones.
And, if there is any discipline which is founded upon mountains and mountains (like, a lot!) of the most scientific studies and data analysis done by some of the best data scientists in existence, it's this area.

Remember, ultimately, science is a process of discovery. The nemesis of further discovery is ironclad conclusions.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
What changes do you think the pandemic has made to our way of life, things that will carry on into the future?
I no longer trust the FDA and the CDC. And I'm probably not alone in that. This is very bad for public health going forward. These people outright lied to us and they caused an untested emergency use only vaccine to be imposed on us. The vaccine did not prevent anyone from catching COVID and yet it was allowed to be forced upon large segments of the population. Sorry if that sounds political but technically it isn't since the FDA and CDC have one job and one job only and that is to protect us from disease and bad drugs. They failed completely - probably due to politics.
The Government never neglected their duty despite of the COVID issues.
Not sure what planet you live on but my local government was pretty much MIA for 2 years. Only the people who were enforcing rules were open for business. They were johnny on the spot when it came to closing my condo pool. Being outside in the sun, covered with chlorine (a disinfectant), became dangerous contrary to all medical logic. All of a sudden, our pool became "public" because the city wanted to control it even though prior to COVID it was controlled by the "private" laws. The garbage and recycles did get picked up but those are private contractors rather than city employees.
I have GOT to be on Candid Camera because real life (people) cannot be this stupid.
Sadly they are.
@Steve R. The Tucker/Berenson interview was excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom