What's your favorite bottle of wine? (1 Viewer)

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 15:03
I like sampling different wines and usually gravitate towards the Cabernnet Sauvignon and some Merlot's. One that I found recently is Dreaming Tree 2019. Not bad at all.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:03
I like dry reds, so cabs and such. A special occasion favorite is Travaglini Gattinara. Yummy wine, cool bottle, but sometimes hard to find, and pricey for my budget. A more affordable wine we like is Matchbook Tempranillo or Tinto Rey. I'm not sure they're big enough to be widely available though. I'm going to try the Dreaming Tree, looks good.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Favorite: Ice wine, though traditionally a dessert wine, I don't mind having it by itself.
Favorite with lunch or dinner, if not going to have Ice Wine afterwards, Liebfraumilch (Black Tower) or Sake.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:03
[Transylvanian Accent] I never drink ... wine. [/Transylvanian Accent] (With a nod to Bela Lugosi.)

Seriously, I have never been able to enjoy wine. If you look up "super taster" you would find that such people (and I am one of them) have an unusually sensitive sense of taste, including enhanced sense of "bitter" tastes. When I drink even supposedly very good wine, I taste the vinegar that is ALWAYS part of the fermentation process. The only wine I've ever been able to drink has been some of the cheap fruit-juice-and-alcohol things like Boone's Farm Apple or Strawberry flavors, because those don't ferment very long and usually have supplemental alcohol to make up the lack of natural fermentation.

Before anyone jumps on my stuff, remember I'm a chemist. Fermentation on grape fructose can occur twice per molecule. The first step converts fructose to ethanol. The second step converts ethanol to acetic acid (vinegar). When there is active fermentation, a small percentage of the ethanol gets converted simply as a matter of random chance. The longer you let the fermentation continue, the greater the odds of making vinegar. And we cannot forget that white wine vinegar is a very elegant cooking ingredient, just as balsamic vinegar is another one, both based on grape distillates. Those vinegars started as wines and just got taken too far. So anyway, I can't drink fine wines because they all taste of vinegar to me.

The REAL truth is, after my liver started acting up, my gastro guy said "No more booze for you. Not even beer for you." So the last time I had anything alcoholic was a sip of champagne for a wedding of a close acquaintance a few years ago.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:03
There is a gene out there that I call the "Brussel Sprouts gene", which is your sensitivity to tasting bitterness. Apparently, about half the people have it and half don't. Maybe that makes sense in evolutionary terms because then not everybody competes for the same food.

I found out about this gene from my "23 and me" genetic test. I'm in the half that can taste bitterness and so dislike brussel sprouts. It is the seed of many disputes at Christmas time in the UK, with the lovers not understanding why the haters don't want any.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
There is a gene out there that I call the "Brussel Sprouts gene", which is your sensitivity to tasting bitterness. Apparently, about half the people have it and half don't. Maybe that makes sense in evolutionary terms because then not everybody competes for the same food.

I found out about this gene from my "23 and me" genetic test. I'm in the half that can taste bitterness and so dislike brussel sprouts. It is the seed of many disputes at Christmas time in the UK, with the lovers not understanding why the haters don't want any.
Well, I just something new today!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Actually, I like Brussel sprouts. So my elevated sensitivity might be related to acidity. I never studied it.

Adam, as to beer: It goes in yellow and foamy, comes out yellow and foamy. I got tired of being the middle man. So no beer for me.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
This is somewhat related to wine, but is also a somewhat racist joke, so please do not beat me up for this (I heard it over thirty years ago).

Do you know what a Jewish American Princess favorite wine is?

I want to go shopping (for those who have watched the Nanny TV show, you can use Fran's voice).

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When I heard it, it was "I wanna go to Miami." Otherwise, same joke.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
[Transylvanian Accent] I never drink ... wine. [/Transylvanian Accent] (With a nod to Bela Lugosi.)

Seriously, I have never been able to enjoy wine. If you look up "super taster" you would find that such people (and I am one of them) have an unusually sensitive sense of taste, including enhanced sense of "bitter" tastes. When I drink even supposedly very good wine, I taste the vinegar that is ALWAYS part of the fermentation process. The only wine I've ever been able to drink has been some of the cheap fruit-juice-and-alcohol things like Boone's Farm Apple or Strawberry flavors, because those don't ferment very long and usually have supplemental alcohol to make up the lack of natural fermentation.

Before anyone jumps on my stuff, remember I'm a chemist. Fermentation on grape fructose can occur twice per molecule. The first step converts fructose to ethanol. The second step converts ethanol to acetic acid (vinegar). When there is active fermentation, a small percentage of the ethanol gets converted simply as a matter of random chance. The longer you let the fermentation continue, the greater the odds of making vinegar. And we cannot forget that white wine vinegar is a very elegant cooking ingredient, just as balsamic vinegar is another one, both based on grape distillates. Those vinegars started as wines and just got taken too far. So anyway, I can't drink fine wines because they all taste of vinegar to me.

The REAL truth is, after my liver started acting up, my gastro guy said "No more booze for you. Not even beer for you." So the last time I had anything alcoholic was a sip of champagne for a wedding of a close acquaintance a few years ago.
I'm kind of the same way with wine. Part of my problem might be extreme stinginess ... i.e., I'm assessing the taste of wine based on the $2.84-cardboard bottles that are 3/4 of a wine bottle by volume, perhaps not the fairest way to do it. But I've had better, and just don't think it tastes very good. (With the exception of champagne, of course, which is how Wine ought to be!) Somehow I've still put away plenty of it, though .... Hmmm :rolleyes:

Have never liked beer, just way too much overhead to get a simple job done. :)

But I'm currently on a teetotaler kick, so this is all from memory...

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
Pacifico, Corona, MGD, Stella Artois, almost anything on draft. For me wine is either red, white or rose.

Mike Krailo

Local time
On the beer side, the sour beers have become really popular in the US and some of them almost taste like champagne in a way. I like the Boysenberry Plum from Edmund's Oast. Just about any IPA and certain double IPA's that are not too hoppy.
1623092113716.png

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
Going to jump back at this. Beer is beer. Yes, there is Stout, Pilsner, Lager, IPA, Ales, etc. But I don't want to say to people like the wine snobs do, "oh, it has a taste of clover and rosemary from the earth". But with all the new brew pubs, boutique breweries and such, I knew it as coming. I grew up on Bud, Rheingold, Ballentine, Genneseo, and a a hat tip to a fraternity brother who came from the Rolling Rock family.

Darrell

Registered User.
Local time
Well being a nano brewer and having a B.Sc (Wine) I almost feel that this thread is custom made for me!

Now if I had to pick a favourite..
wine - probably a Gewurztraminer from Alsace
beer - Pilsner Urquell (Czech Republic)

Harrybrigham

Local time
The local golf club has a very nice beer. Theakstons Old Peculiar. It is quite strong so the wife has to drive. Also now I'm the age I am, I can't drink much and a pint at lunchtime sees me with an hours nap in the afternoon. I do like a glass of cheap red wine with my dinner, but not every day. The beer and the wine is served as I like it, room temperature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom