GB News (1 Viewer)

conception_native_0123

Local time
Yesterday, 18:15
i'm afraid you'll have to post a youtube vid explaining why I'm not getting it. =(

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 16:15
how could THAT qualify as THAT? I don't get it.
To begin with, the very word homophobic is an attempt to cast those disapproving of such a lifestyle in a particular (and inaccurate) light.
Phobic means being terrified of something, an irrational fear. Such as spiders, fear of heights, planes, clowns, the dark, etc.

Note that it is very common for bullies to attach "you're scared" label to anyone who won't go along with them, on anything.
(Imagine 2 schoolboys in the playground, the bully says "do this" or "use this" or "come here" and the other boy declines, believing it not to be in his best judgment for whatever reason - what does the bully say? "You're a scared-y-cat", of course!)

So despite the fact that most people with a Biblically-based viewpoint on the subject don't harbor any type of irrational fear nor terror of gay people, and yet, the other side has been fairly successful in making the term "[whatever]-phobic" widely used. Which is deceptive & inaccurate - somewhat telling, I think, since when you're really in the Right on something, you don't have to resort to deceptive portrayals of anyone else.

Now that we have that taken care of.

Why? Because this street preacher was preaching topics from the Bible, which included the Bible's viewpoint on that subject. I'm sure you know what I mean...
Honestly, I don't condone the preacher's judgment in doing that, I wouldn't think it does any good to stand on a street corner preaching the most controversial and rejected teachings of the Bible to random public members.
But, being put in jail is an interesting result - but not surprising for the UK or Europe, which are a bit "ahead" of us on this subject...

Last edited:

conception_native_0123

Local time
Yesterday, 18:15
but not surprising for the UK or Europe, which are a bit "ahead" of us on this subject...
no argument here. the UK is VERY ahead of us on this subject, and many others. disappoints me greatly. I wonder what Jon would say to my words here. =(

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:15
I wouldn't say ahead or behind, just a different philosophy. I'm thinking that some limited curbs on free speech help to a degree. The US is quite unique in that people can say (nearly) anything. Yet you have a country destroying itself from within. On the other hand, I think the UK has gone too far towards suppression of speech and it is a slippery slope. I've watched it move along that continuum and accelerate in the last few years. Not a good thing in my view.

To add, I think everybody has a different interpretation on what "free speech" actually means.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
The US is quite unique in that people can say (nearly) anything. Yet you have a country destroying itself from within.
I think there are people who would say that is actually an ingredient to our success. The very-recent (last 5 years) extreme move toward wokeness, political correctness, and taboo obvious facts which are critically important yet aren't allowed to be stated out loud--are actually twin philosophies with restricting speech, the opposite of free speech.

Our theory is that when all voices are heard (even the 'mean' or 'unkind' ones--since, sometimes, those are actually the correct ones, but even if they aren't in some case) that is the best formula for Truth to win out. The truth seems to always float to the top when everyone is allowed to voice their opinions, no matter how strange some of them sound. Maybe 'always' is going a bit far.....Usually it works out pretty well, in the end.

From what I have seen, I have to say I tend to agree with that. It can be a little brutal at times, but it's important to hear all opinions.
For example, I am appalled at much of what I hear from the woke left wing ideologues. But never once has my impulse been to forcibly shut them up from being able to speak their drivel. On the contrary, I think the more people hear how ridiculous it is, AND simultaneously if we can get tech platforms (google, facebook, twitter, amazon) to STOP censoring conservative ideas and speech - the combination of those two things would give people a contrast where they simply could not deny in their inner self, the obvious truths.
But the formula doesn't work when there is a lot of free speech (including the crazy stuff) from one side, and very limited free speech from the other side - Free is supposed to mean 'everyone', then it works as intended.

As for ahead or behind, that's just personally the way I see the trend going. To me it is clear, Biblical Christianity is being stamped out little by little. First certain social issues were 'rebel' in nature. Then they were common. Then they were mainstream. Then they got SO mainstream that Christianity was considered borderline offensive. And so it goes - My father believes that, barring major course-correction in US politics, within 50 years Christians in the US will be actively persecuted, maybe including physically, and will mostly be underground. Looking at the trends over the past 50 years, that seems like a very logical guess. So, some countries are 'ahead' in the sense that, that is where the US is heading too - forward march toward a place where subjects such as that may only be viewed from one perspective, and anything else is considered 'hate' and prosecuted as such.

(Lest you think I am focused on only one issue, consider something we all assume will never be considered "bad" - the nuclear family. Yet we know organizations like BLM have said the nuclear family concept is racist. How do you know if 20 years from now, it will be considered "hateful" or evil in some way, to promote the family unit? Sound crazy? Of course it does. So have most of the other changes in the past generation, at first. If marriage could be totally redefined in about a 15 year period, what's to stop it from being redefined again? Nothing. Who knows what the next iteration will be like).

And by the way, I fault American Christians as much as anyone else for letting this happen. Most popular churches these days try to appeal to everyone, teach about only 1-2 themes from the Bible-the ones they don't think anyone will feel challenged by, and basically have relegated the gospel to a feel-good version of Christianity which leaves out 90% of it in order to tickle the ears of the 'seeker' crowd it seeks to please.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yet we know organizations like BLM have said the nuclear family concept is racist.
This is just another example of those who want to insert race into everything. Is their argument that because absentee black fathers is a thing, the nuclear family runs against that and so runs against black culture?

And while I am thinking about it, this critical race theory stuff is full of flaws. They say if you are white, you are racist, by default. But what if that white person lived most of their life in Nigeria, with hardly any other white people there? They are the minority race. Presumably, by their logic, the minority race cannot be racist. They decide to come on holiday to the US for a week. Are they then instantly racist? This is a bit inconvenient, is it not, because what you are then saying is that the act of going to the US on holiday is a racist act, if you are a white person living in Africa. The non-racist becomes a racist by temporarily moving their location.

So, if critical race theory says to be white means you are inherently racist, are they only referring to those born in the US? What about if you were black, living in Nigeria for most of your life, hated whites, lynched whites, and moved to the US. Are you then suddenly not racist because the minority culture cannot be racist? It all falls apart, with no logic to any of it.

Interested to hear some comments on what I said there.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
So, if critical race theory says to be white means you are inherently racist, are they only referring to those born in the US?
I don't see CRT as being contained by borders, it's a movement like BLM that is fueled by the interwebs.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I don't see CRT as being contained by borders, it's a movement like BLM that is fueled by the interwebs.
So the white person born and living in Nigeria is considered a racist too, while living in Nigeria?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
So the white person born and living in Nigeria is considered a racist too, while living in Nigeria?

Potentially yes, unless you know the back story of that WHITE person. White Supremacy isn't just a USA phenomenon, it's just the focus right now.

White South Africa is still bubbling just below the surface and will probably explode again in the near future.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
White South Africa is still bubbling just below the surface and will probably explode again in the near future
Now I've heard a lot of things about this situation, but never really studied it - just heard a bit here and there which leads me to ask you:

If white South Africans have resentment building up in them right now, why do you think that is?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Potentially yes, unless you know the back story of that WHITE person
That is looking at the individual, which is the only rational way of doing it. But critical race theory, correct me if I am wrong, is saying you are racist because you are white. So, the back story is irrelevant. Or did I get that wrong?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
That is looking at the individual, which is the only rational way of doing it. But critical race theory, correct me if I am wrong, is saying you are racist because you are white. So, the back story is irrelevant. Or did I get that wrong?
Your 100% right, no one will wait for the back story. Some will assume you are of European dissent visually therefore racist.

Reactions: Jon

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Now I've heard a lot of things about this situation, but never really studied it - just heard a bit here and there which leads me to ask you:

If white South Africans have resentment building up in them right now, why do you think that is?
Answer:
Let's just stick to the script "The USA has always been the problem" that way everybody stays calm. 😁

Harrybrigham

Local time
I was reprimanded on one of these websites where I had replied. The person said that I sounded like a racist. My reply was "That is because I am a racist." There was no reply to that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom