Bicycle tire advice? (1 Viewer)

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:23
Hoping someone here will know this ... I need to replace my mountain bike tires and am a little confused about what size to get.

The lettering is very worn, since the tires are decades old! It looks to say :

26x2.0
TO FIT HB
57.5 RIM -- or maybe no decimal point, hard to tell
inflate to 250 to 450 KPa
40-65 psi

When I buy tubes, I get 26x about 2.0 (inches)

I read that the tires aren't supposed to be wider than the rim. My rim is about an inch across, maybe slightly less. And there is where I get confused! I definitely don't want to accidentally get thin racing tires. At the time I bought my bicycle, back in the mid-80s, maybe what I have was called 'street tires'? The tread is a little different than regular mountain tires as they're designed for riding in towns and on pavement more than in mud. Once I know what size to look for, I can evaluate the different treads myself. I'm simply confused about the width. 26x2.0? Is that what I want? What is written?

Thank you

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:23
you need to take the wheel off to change the tyre - so can you not take the wheel to the shop? or cycle down there?

found this link which has american sizes, even tho' a UK site

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 00:23
Hoping someone here will know this ... I need to replace my mountain bike tires and am a little confused about what size to get.

The lettering is very worn, since the tires are decades old! It looks to say :

26x2.0
TO FIT HB
57.5 RIM -- or maybe no decimal point, hard to tell
inflate to 250 to 450 KPa
40-65 psi

When I buy tubes, I get 26x about 2.0 (inches)

I read that the tires aren't supposed to be wider than the rim. My rim is about an inch across, maybe slightly less. And there is where I get confused! I definitely don't want to accidentally get thin racing tires. At the time I bought my bicycle, back in the mid-80s, maybe what I have was called 'street tires'? The tread is a little different than regular mountain tires as they're designed for riding in towns and on pavement more than in mud. Once I know what size to look for, I can evaluate the different treads myself. I'm simply confused about the width. 26x2.0? Is that what I want? What is written?

Thank you
I am not sure if this helps or not, but the size of the correct tire is something that measuring the wheels themselves ought to tell you - even if you can no longer read the advertising/information on the rubber tire itself.

Random add: The best thing I ever did for myself was getting a fake tire (one that is basically rubber throughout and uses no air). Is it perfect? no. Does it decrease the performance of riding? Barely perceptibly, but yes. Did it solve my problem of constantly needing new tires? YES!!

I'm sure for any serious pro bicyclist, this is probably considered horrible advice, LOL. But if you're just an average person who enjoys a bike ride now and then - or commutes every day like I did and can't afford to be constantly puncturing and replacing, it's a godsend.

This was not one of those tires filled with "magic goop". It's actually SOLID RUBBER through.

Last edited:

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
thanks, @CJ_London and @Isaac. I've tired of looking at tires ; ) my head is spinning with all the choices.

@Isaac -- maybe that is called a tubeless tire? I read about them and they look worth a go, but I'd probably have to replace my wheels too since my bike is so old

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:23
575 is the Effective Rim Diameter in millimetres. It is normal "26 inch" tyre. This is the 26 inch with decimal width. There is a rare ancient type that uses fractional inch widths that is very different and won't fit your rims.

The width of the tyre (the 2.0) should be between 1.4 and two times the rim width.

Tubeless has goop inside to seal them. The goop reseals punctures but you need a high volume pump to get them to seal when fitted. The rim must be tubeless compatible. Generally not worth the trouble for an ordinary bike.

You have not said what kind of riding you do. You don't want knobbly tyres on the road.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Not sure where you heard that the tire are not supposed to be wider than the rim. But in most cases the tire is wider than the rim. But it really depends on the kind of tire you are needing, I have a mountain bike that I use for commuting. The tires required are a bit aggressive for street riding. But sometimes the road conditions can go bad, so it all works out. I used to have a street bicycle with very narrow tires. Made for fast riding, but felt every little difference in the road.

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
thanks, @Galaxiom and @kevlray

> "The width of the tyre (the 2.0) should be between 1.4 and two times the rim width."

perfect, thanks! That's what I need to know

Mostly I ride on pavement and sometimes cut across fields. I used to have a racing bike when I was a kid -- but the sturdy mountain bike now suits me better, and can carry more.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 03:23
I personally use 1.25 width tires. Wide enough for the times I need to off-road yet thin enough so I don't feel like I'm churning butter!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
thanks, @CJ_London and @Isaac. I've tired of looking at tires ; ) my head is spinning with all the choices.

@Isaac -- maybe that is called a tubeless tire? I read about them and they look worth a go, but I'd probably have to replace my wheels too since my bike is so old

Yes, the one I got is actually solid rubber - no goop. in other words, it's absolutely indestructible.

Then I've also tried the self repairing goop ones........with varying levels of success, far from perfect.

I live in the desert....thorny things of all types tend to pop up no matter how hard you try to avoid them.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:23
For mixed on and off road use on a mountain bike, a "hard pack" tyre is good. They are designed for compacted gravel.

My favourite on my 26 inch unicycle is the Maxxis DTH 26 x 2.15. Very light weight especially the foldable bead model. (This has a kevlar thread instead of wire for the bead so it can be folded up.
Very thin sidewalls. Excellent ride and low camber thrust (an important factor on unicycles).

However it is a high performance race tyre so not designed long life. Don't tend to ride as far on a unicycles as one does on a bike so not a factor for me.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
We have our variety of thorns here (we call them goat heads). They will go through a bicycle tire with ease. I used to have some liners that went between the tube and the tire. Very effective shield. They now make tires with kevlar. I have not tried to see what will go through them.

John07

Local time
Today, 14:23
Steps to Changing a Road Bike Tire: It is important to get the size of your wheels and measure your old tires. The first step to take in this process is removing the bike wheels. You must loosen the brakes, then locate the quick-release levers for easy removal. The next step is to take the tire away from the rim. To remove it quickly, you must completely deflate the tires first. Then, you can use tire levers to separate the tire and the rim. The fifth step is to pull out the tube from the inside of the tire. At this point, you can change a road bike tire: First, lay the new tube flat and inflate the tube moderately. Next, let the tube slide slowly into the tire and line up the tire tube valve to the rim’s valve hole. Finally, install the road bike tire onto the rim. The eighth step is to install the wheel back on the bike. Then, you are done.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
And of course when re-installing the tire. Always check to make sure the tube is not getting pinched by the tire. Likewise, avoid using any sharp tools (i.e., screwdriver) on the tire to get it back on the rim.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I usually put a little air in the tube so it becomes round for installation then pull the core if needed.

Last edited:

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
That works well for me also. I also seems to help to start putting the tire on at the core and work from there. It seems to seat better that way.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I'm guilty of using a screwdriver to get it on, but i'm careful..

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I have used screwdrivers in the past (it is a wonder I did not puncture the tube). I was surprised that in the box for one tube I bought, it included a couple of plastic tire tools. I already had set, now I have two. Far better than a screwdriver.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I use the plastic rim tool if I can't just force it on with my manly brute strength 💪 😅
now is that one of those tools that came with my bike 10 years ago that i dropped in the bottom of my tool box and threw away while cleaning the box years later, wondering what it was?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom