NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing - (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:37

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 04:37
New greenhouse Gas identified?

Not to worry. Hydrogen is extremely flammable. The Earth's atmosphere will ignite and the Earth will become a smoldering ember. Global warming solved. ;)
1631714095412.png

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:37
Greta Thunberg was at the "Youth4Climate" summit in Milan, Italy. She was mocking Biden and Boris Johnson for the "build back better" type slogans in reference to climate change. Someone should tell Greta there's a new boogyman in town it's called Covid-19. Climate change just doesn't have the scary reality of a 99% survival rate that covid has. :D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:37
one of these space hobbyist idiots like musk or bezos farted out the window

Nope, that would produce methane. With a touch of N-methyl indole, also known as skatole.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Greta Thunberg was at the "Youth4Climate" summit in Milan, Italy. She was mocking Biden and Boris Johnson for the "build back better" type slogans in reference to climate change. Someone should tell Greta there's a new boogyman in town it's called Covid-19. Climate change just doesn't have the scary reality of a 99% survival rate that covid has. :D
They've had a kind of difficult time choosing covid or climate. For a while there it did seem they were switching back to climate - but now it's hard to tell as the Variants, plus the new notion that maybe children should have the vaccine, have given things new legs. Usually CNN will stay on one topic for its size 112 font Doom headlines at the top--but right now is an interesting state of flux. Poor therapeutics, they never had a chance

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
It's predicted we will have a "LA Nina" year as opposed to an "El Nino" either way it means more water or cycle as non alarmist call it.

Edit thanks Steve :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I can't help but enjoy the huge amount of water Arizona has gotten over the last few months - putting a pretty big dent in our so-called "severe drought" of the last few years. Cycle is right.

Of course - it'd be great if it were spread around more evenly, but until we can find that magical switch to change nature, I'm staying put in places that are livable!

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Be patient nature doesn't care how long a human life's span is, it will continue on its circular path like everything else in the cosmos regardless if you're still here or not. Fuzzy logic has no effect.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It's already the 15th of October. It is 77 and sunny in southern Connecticut and as I look out my window there is only the faintest tinge of yellow in a couple of trees. Almost all are still full green. No red or orange in sight. I guess it is the end of the world. Maybe I'll take a walk and enjoy this fabulous almost fall day:)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
@AccessBlaster Yep - you're right. My "guess" is that all of this is mostly to do with a cycle.
The reason people have so many interpretations of the cycle is because they can't see the actual expected durations of each portion.

The first week I'm alive, I take a great meaning out of Monday's weather vs. Thursday's weather.
The second month I'm alive, I infer a great meaning out of the fact that the first month was warmer than the second month.
The 11th month I'm alive (December), I start making apocalyptic predictions: We're all about to freeze to death, people!
The 3rd year I'm alive I interpret a drought to be the end of the water-world.

See what I mean?

We have x-number of years to interpret. (Some think a billion, some think 10,000 - the end result isn't any different). The point is, none of us know if this is all part of an every-10-billion-years cycle. We keep thinking we know "more", but we have no idea if we're correctly interpreting the beginning of the end of a 10,000 year cycle, or, failing to understand we're only at the beginning of a 100,000 year cycle.

People are way too quick to judge all of this by 50 years of tornado records. In the grand scheme of things, that may be correct or it may be beyond laughable - mankind simply doesn't know.

@Pat Hartman that's amazing. Our club is about to have a picnic this Sunday, I'm unhappy about the 89 degree forecast, when the other day the high was 68! But when I visit my parents in WI in 2 weeks, I fully expect it to be COLD - and looking forward to it!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
"Climate" has an enormous number of variables and humans have very little to do with it except on a very local scale. All those tall buildings and asphalt make large cities substantially warmer than the surrounding suburbs which are much less densely populated and have much more tree cover. We actually know how to build cooler cities by using living plants to cover flat roofs, lighter colored hard surfaces, and more trees. Are we doing it? Not enough to make a difference.

Humans, however, are almost 100% responsible for pollution. We've made enormous strides during the past 50 years in the US and also much of the western world. Poor countries are worse hellholes than the worst parts of America ever were. OK, maybe when the Monongahela caught fire, that was bad but you can now swim in the Hudson without fear of contracting some disease. That is huge. Part of our success was offshoring our waste products. Unfortunately much of the plastic we "recycled" ended up in the Pacific due to poor handling on the other side of the ocean. Many of those countries are no longer accepting our trash and we are going to have to learn how to actually recycle plastic. The worst offender is packaging. The packaging for a lot of the little stuff I buy probably cost more than the product itself. Maybe we should go back to using paper and cardboard which are actually recyclable and save the plastic for multi-use objects and eliminate as much single use plastic as we can.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
The biggest problem with plastic is it usually requires virgin plastic pellets to extrud in order to get the desired results.
Recycled plastic becomes harder and harder to use each time it's Recycled.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Then I guess we need to find something to do with recycled plastic. Maybe we can build houses from it or pave roads.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:37
Nope, that would produce methane. With a touch of N-methyl indole, also known as skatole.
Nope.
Endogenous gas consists mainly of hydrogen and, for some people, methane. It can also contain small amounts of other gases, such as hydrogen sulfide, which make farts smell bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom