WhatsApp - Facebook Spies! (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:19
I saw a post saying Elon Musk advises you to switch to Signal as Facebook monitors your messages.

I shared the advice through WhatsApp about a day ago.

I just now received a message through WhatsApp with a link to to information about how secure their service is!

I don't think I've ever received a message like that before, maybe I'm wrong, about that. Might be something they do automatically/regularly! But the coincidence makes me suspicious!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:19
WhatsApp has been advertising on TV about the security of their platform, so maybe it's just tied into that. According to the ads and their website, they can't read your messages:

End-to-end encryption ensures only you and the person you're communicating with can read or listen to what is sent, and nobody in between, not even WhatsApp.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
WhatsApp has been advertising on TV about the security of their platform, so maybe it's just tied into that. According to the ads and their website, they can't read your messages:

End-to-end encryption ensures only you and the person you're communicating with can read or listen to what is sent, and nobody in between, not even WhatsApp.
That is what their advert states, but how can one verify that. Is it that an encrypted message can never be decrypted, or is it that their platform is 100 percent unhackable(doubt if any thing like that exists)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:19
Can't is different from don't. They absolutely can read your messages. Do they? You seem to have an example that shows that they do.

Remember people, NOTHING you send in an email or post on a social media site is actually private. Even here. Jon doesn't sell the posts here but they are visible to those who search which is of course the whole point of a forum. You are depending on the company to not sell your words. I'm pretty sure that simply by using the service, you have committed to allowing them to make anonymized use of your information though. Google absolutely reads the words of your outgoing emails and also your incoming emails so if I send an email to your gmail account, whatever I say is also read and they know who said it. Americans are laying down and playing dead. In a fairly short time, we will be in the same position as the Chinese if we don't stand up and rebel. If the government doesn't like your opinion or the people you interact with, YOU may not be able to board an airplane in the not too distant future. YOU may not be able to access money in your bank account. That just happened in Canada. Does it frighten you? It should.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Can't is different from don't. They absolutely can read your messages.

So are you saying that end-to-end encryption doesn't work as advertised, or that WhatsApp is lying about using it?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:19
The messages are encrypted whilst in the ether between recipients.

However, I believe they are not encrypted if they are stored on FaceAches servers.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
So are you saying that end-to-end encryption doesn't work as advertised, or that WhatsApp is lying about using it?
Nice question, End to End encryption depending on the complexity of the algorithm can work, though it needs to be constantly improved on, cos some programmers/ethical hackers can write algorithms to decrypt it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Somebody has the key. It is simply a matter of company policy who has it and what they can do with it. It would be nice if the data could be encrypted so that even the host company couldn't actually see it. I think if that were possible, we might see some email providers pop up offering that as a service so your email would then be totally private. As it is now, every email sent/received using an email server that isn't in your very own bathroom (like Hillary's server) is subject to subpoena and therefore, the government can read it if they want to. These days, they don't even have to bother with subpoenas. The feds just lean on the providers. That's how they tracked down a lot of the protesters from Jan 6th. The FBI leaned on the telephone companies for geo-location data. So, if your phone pinged in DC during the riot, good chance, the FBI knows you were there and has looked into you.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Do you think they don't have the key?

You've answered a question with a question. According to what little I've read about end-to-end encryption, they don't have the key.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I think end-to-end is talking about the transmission from you to them but doesn't refer to if they can access the data once they have stored it somewhere. If you have a different definition, then I'd like to see where it is defined.

When data is encrypted, someone has the key. Whether they use it or not is a policy decision.

Look what happened to Google's motto of "Don't be Evil". They have lost their way since they came up with that. They are now about as evil as they could be without wielding a physical weapon. Information is their weapon of choice. THEY have appointed themselves the arbiter of truth. Only THEY get to decide what is true and what is not. If Google says it is not true, they do everything they can to prevent you from seeing the article/video because they "care" about you.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom