Automactic Reminders (1 Viewer)

rainbows

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:57
i have a from with many outstanding requests , see screen shot below and report also
is sit possible to send a automatic reminder weekly to all the people with actions that are active assigned to them

thanks steve

1648117529791.png

1648117564112.png

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Sure. Check out the SendObject method.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:57
Yes, you surely can do so. There are several ways to approach the problem. Several? Try a myriad of ways to do this. The trick, however, is to determine when they are sent, using which method, how often, and by whom. Part of the determination is knowing the environment.

Is this a shared database, shared and used by all the people who get reminders? Then do you want each person to get the reminders when they log in to this DB or do you want mail?

Are you using Outlook in your environment? In which case do you want to send Task, ToDo, or Appointment items, or did you want to send real mail? And do you want Outlook to do this rather than Access?

Your question is actually TOO easily answered, with a barrage of possibilities. IF you have Outlook already in use on site by all parties involved, you would be re-inventing a wheel by using Access. But having said that, there is no technical barrier to doing what you asked. Only logistical barriers.

Like, if Joe Schmuckatelli logs in on Monday morning before you do, does HIS session send the messages? If it did, then when you log in a half hour later on that same Monday morning, does your session ALSO send out messages?

How does someone acknowledge the reminder? Or DO they acknowledge it? How do you stop the reminders once the task is done?

These are questions you have to prepare to answer - first for us to offer suggestions; second so when it is time to implement, you have already made the decisions to guide that implementation. Now that I've given you some food for thought, decide which way you want to go and let us know in slightly more detail what you would like. I'm sure we can summarize an approach for you. But it starts by you defining the desired behavior of this feature you want to implement.

rainbows

Registered User.
Local time
ok, 3 companies use this database , api, ppi, apic when the user selects the company they work for the employees in that company is shown when they select their name 2 things happen , it tells you how many action request you have outstanding that was assigned to you . if you close that form off , IE put the closed date in this then will not be shown again. that is also does is put you name in the raised by field and the company name from the form you used to log in on the first screen i showed you was used by admin . these are the people who are in charge of all the action requests within there company that are still active and raised by anyone . this is for monthly meeting to discuss

if the users might not log onto the system they might forget they have actions outstanding
therefore i was looking for a way to remind everyone who has outstanding actions to look at them and close them off. within each company

admin have a password for each company therefore if say CH logs on the records for the company PPI appear only as per the report shown above . if say EW logs in then only api outstanding actions will be shown

so maybe whoever logs in first that week the system produces a report for each company and sends it to everyone with oustanding actions assigned to them
hope this is a little more clear

thanks
steve

1648199926672.png

Last edited:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 17:57
i was thinking that this is the Responsibility of the Person who will Take/Complete the Action.
If the concern has already been informed (through email, report etc), that a Request has been made
and that it is his responsibility, then there is no need for you to remind him. Everyone must be busy
with anything. So if he misses that, he is accountable for it, not you.

rainbows

Registered User.
Local time
yes you are correct of which i agree with. i was asked if it could be done so i thought i could try to do it on a copy of the database just incase the big boss asked

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:57
This is complex enough that you need to commit something to paper as a design that will answer questions like "Who sends the mail" "How is it sent" "When is it sent" etc. Once you have those requirements enumerated, then go back and in a series of refinements, decide how to implement the requirements including use of Access, use of some other program (like Outlook), steps of entering the requirement, steps of relaying / informing of the requirement, steps of reporting the requirement, etc. Also, perhaps LOGGING the steps as they occur (if this is something the big boss wants to see) as in, who created the requirement, who sent the notice, who is responsible for the action to close the notice, etc.

The point I am making here (I hope) is that you have a complex problem on your hands and we won't be able to write it for you. You already have an infrastructure in place. But we can make suggestions on approaches on this facet of the problem. We can point you in various directions as needed. But you are the person who supposedly KNOWS the requirements. Or at least, you are the person asking about this problem, which must therefore have been dropped in your lap, so you have some responsibility for it.

I'm not washing my hands of this at all. I'm merely pointing out that it won't be trivial and all we will be able to do is "coach from the sidelines." So when getting up your expectations, include that you would be doing some serious design and implementation work. I said earlier, and meant it, that there are many ways to skin this particular cat. Your first step will be to lay this out so you can start including or excluding available functional resources like mail programs, other in-house utilities, whether you CAN use certain features (due to IT-imposed security rules), etc. Basically you have TOO MANY choices of which way to go and need to do a process of elimination for some of the steps so that you CAN decide which way to go.

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 09:57
This is complex enough that you need to commit something to paper as a design that will answer questions like "Who sends the mail" "How is it sent" "When is it sent" etc. Once you have those requirements enumerated, then go back and in a series of refinements, decide how to implement the requirements including use of Access, use of some other program (like Outlook), steps of entering the requirement, steps of relaying / informing of the requirement, steps of reporting the requirement, etc. Also, perhaps LOGGING the steps as they occur (if this is something the big boss wants to see) as in, who created the requirement, who sent the notice, who is responsible for the action to close the notice, etc.

The point I am making here (I hope) is that you have a complex problem on your hands and we won't be able to write it for you. You already have an infrastructure in place. But we can make suggestions on approaches on this facet of the problem. We can point you in various directions as needed. But you are the person who supposedly KNOWS the requirements. Or at least, you are the person asking about this problem, which must therefore have been dropped in your lap, so you have some responsibility for it.

I'm not washing my hands of this at all. I'm merely pointing out that it won't be trivial and all we will be able to do is "coach from the sidelines." So when getting up your expectations, include that you would be doing some serious design and implementation work. I said earlier, and meant it, that there are many ways to skin this particular cat. Your first step will be to lay this out so you can start including or excluding available functional resources like mail programs, other in-house utilities, whether you CAN use certain features (due to IT-imposed security rules), etc. Basically you have TOO MANY choices of which way to go and need to do a process of elimination for some of the steps so that you CAN decide which way to go.
100% correct TDM. I used to say to some new customers ; "if you cannot write down exactly what you want, you cannot expect me to sit there for days or weeks punching out code to do something that you cannot explain clearly and then expect it to be what you want"
Particularly that as soon as they see the results they'll be complaining like the devil about where it isn't correct, and not what they asked for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom