Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 13:47
d2c31111d5f1d26d16b98227525efa6abad90ef2-14.jpg

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 20:47
Now that the gyms have re-opened I've joined again. They've put in a new machine and I used it for an hour and felt really sick.
Brilliant machine, it does everything, Mars Bars, KitKats, Snickers, Crisps, cola drinks, everything....

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Today, 15:47
Now that the gyms have re-opened I've joined again. They've put in a new machine and I used it for an hour and felt really sick.
Brilliant machine, it does everything, Mars Bars, KitKats, Snickers, Crisps, cola drinks, everything....
My kind of machine!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I swear I met that guy during my time as a Navy contractor. He couldn't be fired due to civil service rules so they gave him make-work projects - which as far as I recall, didn't get finished. Or sometimes even started. But he was a GREAT "Excuse Maker" for ALL of his projects.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 16:47
I swear I met that guy during my time as a Navy contractor. He couldn't be fired due to civil service rules so they gave him make-work projects - which as far as I recall, didn't get finished. Or sometimes even started. But he was a GREAT "Excuse Maker" for ALL of his projects.
You remind me of a similar experience. We had a GS-12 programmer, who essentially refused to do a project because they had not received training to use a certain programming language. I think it was Fortran. Anyway, that person successfully "avoided" training. Management tried to force the issue and the employee filed a complaint for harassment and actually won!!!

Cotswold

Local time
It often does appear concerning that if we juxtaposed the office in these cartoons with the corridors of power.
Just about every political leader in the World would fit the part of Wally or the boss.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Management tried to force the issue and the employee filed a complaint for harassment and actually won!!!
that reminds me of an actual case I heard about in the USA one time. a man was robbing a home and tried to break in through the glass window on top of the house. he cut himself on the glass, sued the homeowner and won the case. ha ha

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, that case proves that the USA legal system has forgotten about the old theory of "misadventure" - where someone was doing something wrong and got injured, and in that case it was "the perpetrator's fault." More and more, I'm seeing cases where the owner of a property is totally innocent and yet gets sued. A recent case occurred in which a mechanic was injured while working on a car at a dealership's garage. The mechanic sued the car's owner even though at the time it was in the custody of the dealership. It SHOULD have been a "Workman's Comp" case but wasn't. I have not yet seen the followup, but to me it is total insanity.

Cotswold

Local time
The police have confirmed that the man who fell from the roof of a nightclub last night was not a bouncer.

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 05:47
@The_Doc_Man @conception_native_0123
Are these stories true?
There was a story about a lawsuit In 1992.
Stella, then 79, spilled a cup of McDonald’s coffee onto her own lap, burning herself. A New Mexico jury awarded her $2.9 million in damages, But it wasn't the whole story. Ever since stories about strange lawsuits were circulated and none of them was true. The story of a lady who tried to dry her kitten with a microwave and sued the manufacturer was another one.

These kind of stories are called "The Stella Awards" and mostly are false.

Here's the real story of coffee cup lawsuit:

conception_native_0123

Local time
yes KitaYama, the story I told actually happened in the USA at some point. I just don't remember how long ago it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom