Rant - Microsoft (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:10
Rant - Microsoft have done it again ... Recent MS upgrades, and now my folders are showing me files from a long time ago, last year, last month, last week, yesterday and today, in separate categories...

Now I don't begrudge new features, but come on Microsoft it's polite to ask before you change how things work and look.

I'm now stressed and getting more and more frustrated because I can't work like I usually do. I've got to jump through your bloody hoops yet again!

It would have been nice to have been told:- "we've got this new feature would you like to try it?" Then I would have been nice and relaxed, would have made up my mind if I wanted it or not....

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 09:10
When you have no competition, you can do as you please...sad, sorry situation we have allowed ourselves to be put in.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Tony
Do you mean looking like this?

If so, the feature isn't new and can easily be changed.
In the View menu, select Group By and change to None ...or whatever you prefer

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    53.4 KB · Views: 263

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:10
Rant - Microsoft have done it again ... Recent MS upgrades, and now my folders are showing me files from a long time ago, last year, last month, last week, yesterday and today, in separate categories...

Now I don't begrudge new features, but come on Microsoft it's polite to ask before you change how things work and look.

I'm now stressed and getting more and more frustrated because I can't work like I usually do. I've got to jump through your bloody hoops yet again!

It would have been nice to have been told:- "we've got this new feature would you like to try it?" Then I would have been nice and relaxed, would have made up my mind if I wanted it or not....
I doubt we own these copies, I think we just rent. I could be wrong.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Tony
Do you mean looking like this?

If so, the feature isn't new and can easily be changed.
In the View menu, select Group By and change to None ...or whatever you prefer

Thank you Colin! That solved it! I can't understand why they change my folders? I never changed it, I never change anything if I can help it!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:10
Those of us who are married are frequently reminded by our spouses that it might be time to either change underwear or sleep in the dog house - thought it might be unfair to the dog, which probably has a sensitive nose too.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:10
I wasn't too thrilled with MS myself this morning. I woke up and had a "re-start to install updates" message and hit yes without thinking as I went to make coffee. THREE HOURS later the win10 update finished.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
That used to be the bane of our existence with the Navy. We had such a nasty schedule constraint that we had to download patches and test them on a test box first to see how long they would take. We had to clear the down time. For most of the projects, an extra hour late at night was no biggie. But some of our servers were in 24-hour service. Those always required extra gyrations.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:10
Our origanization uses a third party software to do update to our computers (OS, mail, Office, etc.). Unfortunately we get a message that states our computer will need to be rebooted within (3-4 hours), there is no getting around it. Either you re-boot or it will do it automatically. Hopefully we have not started a process that may take a long time to complete.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
That forced reboot is one reason why our PC support (internal) team at the Navy resisted going to Win10 for so long. When we are supporting warfighters, we CANNOT be out of touch with our systems for a long time and CANNOT be interrupted if we are doing critical application functions. A forced reboot simply isn't allowed.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
FWIW I use this until I decide I want the update.

I run it as a .cmd file

Code:
Rem stop windows update
sc config "wuauserv" start= disabled
sc stop "wuauserv"
rem Pause
rem net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop dosvc

I have it run at startup and task scheduler every hour, as I found windows changed it back sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom