View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 05:33 AM   #70
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,560 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Re: Is Microsoft Access a 'proper' database?

amo12oo - My personally biggest db was for the U.S.Navy (from which I retired as a contractor after 28 1/2 years). About 30-40 users, data set was basically to record all security-related actions for over 1500 servers crossing 80 projects. Security actions were distributed by the government every 2 weeks and might lead to 30 actions per month, multiply that by 1500 servers and we were tracking 45,000 actions per month, or half a million actions per year. Those 80 projects were essentially Navy, Navy Reserve, and a couple of other government agencies that we managed from a data center. While that isn't the biggest db you might have ever seen, if you are worried about the size of the organization, it was the U.S. Navy. Not small potatoes.

But that wasn't the biggest Access db at the site. Another person managed the one in which they had an Access FE and an SQL Server BE for a Navy medical-records system that potentially covered the entire U.S. Navy through Access as the front-end driver. Don't downplay Access as a "small systems" tool for small shops.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote