Computational Rights and Freedoms? (1 Viewer)

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 02:19
I just read a really interesting article on 'computational freedom', I guess, is the best way to put it. http://boingboing.net/2012/01/10/lockdown.html

For the tl;dr crowd, the capacity of a (Turing-complete) machine to execute code is judgement-free, so to the machine there is no 'good code' and no 'bad code.' Code is a thing that has a current instruction to execute if possible, and then the next instruction to execute. If execution fails or if there is no next instruction then execution halts. There is no evil and no altruism.

And these same properties can be argued to exist for networks. From the perspective of a network, everything is traffic. There is no good traffic or bad traffic, simply traffic, and censorship--an object that might impede the flow of traffic--is regarded by the network as damage.

Add a little fearmongering and it's easy to sell the idea that we need to implement a mechanism to limit "bad" traffic. Crime exists on the internet, and people do bad things, including stealing movies and songs and stuff, but--to use an image from the article--we can't outlaw the use of wheels because criminals use them on their get-away cars.

The thing about a computer and a network is that you can't just control parts of it. How it functions anywhere and all the time is exactly the same, so its like it has a completely flat topology. If we give somebody the right to kill a part of a network based on certain criteria, then we've given him the right to kill any part of a network based on any criteria, because no part of a network is easily distinguishable from any other part, and because there simply won't be time for them to get a court order.

But I recommend that article. It's cool. And it exposes how we need to be assured in a free society that our freedom to compute is as natural and inalienable as any other of our basic human rights.

Cheers,
Mark

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
That article opened up a lot of discussion here.
Have to really wonder who ultimately be responsible to lay down the rules and by who's standards would they be based? I work in a multicultural business, what is tollerated by one country is not permitted by another. There even seems to be a lot of age related bias in peoples attitudes and what should be accepted and what should be not even acknowledged as even an issue.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 05:19
This seems to be a discussion for the political section.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Yeah, maybe it's in the wrong section.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Or perhaps people have that sense of security that there will never be copyright issues with coding and programming, no body steals or hacks someone elses intellectual property...

...or even if they did it is not like anything can be done about it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom