Annoyance With Ads (1 Viewer)

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 20:35
Jon

Just interested.

Why aren't you utilising the white space on the right.

Looks like a great place to advertise.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:35
If you mean to the right of the post, it causes problems on lower screen resolutions due to the narrower screen. I will avoid sideways scrolling at all cost.

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Today, 22:35
Jon, You had better get your post count up :)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yes PNGBill, there is an irony in this in that I spend more time on here than a lot of people yet I get the most ads! :)

But then again, I take the attitude its not about me, its about the community. I am a self-proclaimed martyr.

Actually, lots of things go on behind the scenes that I never talk about and people don't see. For example, just changing the ad settings required lots of fiddling and customisation of the code on here. It took me a whole day to get it working properly. The multiple ad locations combined with multiple filters had to be set up, let alone working out some decent policy on this. Then, fiddling with the vbulletin style code was very frustrating. Give me some nice vba code and its not a problem, but the proprietary vbulletin style code was very frustrating. There we no examples of code for this being done and the help I sought never quite gave me a working answer.

PNGBill, I notice you just tipped the 2,000 post mark recently. Congratulations and enjoy the lower ad count. :) Does it help the page load faster or is it hard to say?

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 05:35
I've noticed a decrease in average load time. Some pages still seem to take longer to load as if the ad source is harder to reach, but most are pretty quick.

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Today, 22:35
Yes, Jon, I do notice pages loading faster :)
Any Forums for Web Site Owners:D

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm still seeing an ad inside the beginning post of a thread. Is that one staying?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yes Pat, that one is staying. You never know, I might change this for very high posters but for now its there. I've cut the ads from 3 to 1 in a thread. But because you are over 5,000 posts, there is also no intext advertising either.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Popping in and out to answer a few quick questions when time permits for me is almost impossible with the amount of time each page takes to load all the advertisements. I am using IE 8 (and no I cannot change that). Users like myself (5,000+ postings) who enjoy helping the forum members by answering their questions should be rewarded with no advertisements so that we can help the forum. Waiting 60+ seconds for a page to load because of all the advertisements is not worth my time.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:35
Earlier this morning on my iPad the site was virtually unusable; 30+ seconds per page to load. I gave up. Now with FF/ad blocker it's fine.

Vassago

Local time
Earlier this morning on my iPad the site was virtually unusable; 30+ seconds per page to load. I gave up. Now with FF/ad blocker it's fine.

Yep. I've noticed that as well. The inpost ads seem to be the culprit. The ads outside of posts on pages that don't have posts load very fast and the page loads within a couple seconds for me at work. But when I go to an actual thread, it seems to take about 30 seconds for anything to even show up. This is in IE 8.

At home, in Firefox with ad block plus, no issues at all.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
pbaldy, that was nothing to do with ads. There was a hosting issue.

Incidentely, I spent a whole day cutting ads for those with 2,000 posts or more from 3 ads to 1 inside the thread. Yet nobody even bothered to thank me for the effort. I've come to the conclusion that it is futile me trying to keep everybody happy because whatever I do its not going to be enough for some.

Last edited:

Vassago

Local time
I wasn't complaining, only reporting my findings. It appeared to be ad related since I was testing both IE8 without an ad-blocker and Firefox with an ad-blocker at the same time. The only one that seemed to hang for about 30 seconds sometimes was the IE8 one.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we appreciate the work you put into the site and everything you have been trying to make it more appealing and a pleasant experience for members.

Local time
Today, 19:35
I always use an ad blocker and I never have any problems with loading speed.
Are the ad posters those answering questions?
Why would a poster put 3 ads in a single post?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
pbaldy, that was nothing to do with ads. There was a hosting issue.

Incidentely, I spent a whole day cutting ads for those with 2,000 posts or more from 3 ads to 1 inside the thread.

That'll keep Larson and the Yanks happy. Those of us that did have >2000 posts then had our original username deleted by a frenzied Yank and everyone in "power" here refuses to reinstate it, will still have to suffer the stupid ads.

Col

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Oh, this is better. Now I can visit from work without people thinking I'm surfing granny dating sites.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've removed the tall banner from the bottom right of the forums. It showed the GoDiscuss.co.uk forums and the ibusinessforums.co.uk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom